Dosing Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate does not rise No3 Po4

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i am trying to raise my No3 (were a 1) and po4 (is 0.02). I have done the recipe with sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate and as adviced in different post i have used this calculator to mix and dose

In the calculator instead i have used the potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate since i've read that they can be the same

I have mixed 9g of NaNO3 in 100ml of rodi and should give me a solution of 1ml=1ppm no3

For po4 i have mixed 1g of Na3PO4 (12H2O) in 250ml of rodi that should give me 1ml=0.05ppm po4

- Yesterday i have dosed 10ppm of no3 and 0.05 ppm of po4

- This morning no3 was around 5ppm and po4 was still 0.02

- So i dosed 15ppm of no3 and 0.25ppm of po4

- This evening reading is 10ppm no3 and po4 are still 0.02

In previous post i have read that we can expect to have to dose more, but how much more?

EDIT: I have a 55lt nano with skimmer, activated carbon, filter floss and a chaeto reactor and chaeto is growing quite well), little population 2fish 5 snails 1 shrimp 3 frag. I feed twice a day (frozen in the morning and dry in the evening)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i am trying to raise my No3 (were a 1) and po4 (is 0.02). I have done the recipe with sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate and as adviced in different post i have used this calculator to mix and dose

In the calculator instead i have used the potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate since i've read that they can be the same

I have mixed 9g of NaNO3 in 100ml of rodi and should give me a solution of 1ml=1ppm no3

For po4 i have mixed 1g of Na3PO4 (12H2O) in 250ml of rodi that should give me 1ml=0.05ppm po4

- Yesterday i have dosed 10ppm of no3 and 0.05 ppm of po4

- This morning no3 was around 5ppm and po4 was still 0.02

- So i dosed 15ppm of no3 and 0.25ppm of po4

- This evening reading is 10ppm no3 and po4 are still 0.02

In previous post i have read that we can expect to have to dose more, but how much more?

EDIT: I have a 55lt nano with skimmer, activated carbon, filter floss and a chaeto reactor and chaeto is growing quite well), little population 2fish 5 snails 1 shrimp 3 frag. I feed twice a day (frozen in the morning and dry in the evening)
Assuming your calcs are correct (I didn't check) I'd suggest that the Chaeto is consuming it rapidly.

Remove the Chaeto for the next test.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your calcs are correct (I didn't check) I'd suggest that the Chaeto is consuming it rapidly.

the calcs are from the calculator, only thing is that it does not have instead of sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate i have used potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. but i followed what randy have said in other posts.

chaeto could live a couple of days in the reactor without flow? (i turn off the reactor, it will still have the light)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the calcs are from the calculator, only thing is that it does not have instead of sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate i have used potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. but i followed what randy have said in other posts.

chaeto could live a couple of days in the reactor without flow? (i turn off the reactor, it will still have the light)
Sorry, missed the bit about it being in a reactor. Assumed it was just in a fuge.
I'm not sure how to take it out of the loop, but if you need to dose NO3 and PO4, why are you running the reactor?

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed the bit about it being in a reactor. Assumed it was just in a fuge.
I'm not sure how to take it out of the loop, but if you need to dose NO3 and PO4, why are you running the reactor?
I made the reactor when I have started the tank, did not know that could have been counter productive, maybe when population will be bigger it will help, don't really need them but from what I have read a 10/15ppm NO3 and 0.05ppm of po4 are the sweet spot.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or it's a newer tank and his rocks and gravel are sucking it. Or it could be quite a few other possibilties, ie how often he does water changes and how much etc.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or it's a newer tank and his rocks and gravel are sucking it. Or it could be quite a few other possibilties, ie how often he does water changes and how much etc.
is indeed a new tank, it started in june and got populated in august. i do WC every 7 days of about 10%

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks and gravel do not absorb Nitrate, only phosphate binds to calcium carbonate.

Basically adding Phospate and Nitrate is fertilizing the Chaeto, which is probably not what the OP intended.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks and gravel do not absorb Nitrate, only phosphate binds to calcium carbonate.

Basically adding Phospate and Nitrate is fertilizing the Chaeto, which is probably not what the OP intended.
Agreed, but do you feel like listing ALL the possiblities which is why I named a few and put etc. You did put another possible answer but not the only one which is why you used the word probably.

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless you’ve got a reactor with a heat sink or some way for the heat to escape, turning off the flow with the light on might overheat and cook the Cheato.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’ve got a reactor with a heat sink or some way for the heat to escape, turning off the flow with the light on might overheat and cook the Cheato.
I did not think to that and U are right. Proba l'y best thing is just putting the chaeto in a bucket with a phito lamp for a couple of days, at max I will do a WC a day.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think to that and U are right. Proba l'y best thing is just putting the chaeto in a bucket with a phito lamp for a couple of days, at max I will do a WC a day.
You can just put it in a bucket of tank water, doesn't need extra light or heater. Natural light is fine.
I kept mine for weeks like that, just changing the water each week with tank water.

Back