Dosing Tropic Marin NP Bacto-Balance

ksims58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one year into a Waterbox MarineX 90.3. I am using NP Bacto-Balance for carbon dosing for the last three weeks. I have noticed an improvement in Nitrates and Phosphates. I am seeing a drop in pH of about .08 when I dose the NP Bacto-Balance. The pH starts to rebound in about 8-10 hours. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one year into a Waterbox MarineX 90.3. I am using NP Bacto-Balance for carbon dosing for the last three weeks. I have noticed an improvement in Nitrates and Phosphates. I am seeing a drop in pH of about .08 when I dose the NP Bacto-Balance. The pH starts to rebound in about 8-10 hours. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
There might be acetic acid in the product. Put some in freshwater and measure pH before and after addition. That should tell you whether you are adding an acid.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have dosed a little too much but I saw a pH drop of 0.2 in my tank. Def be careful not to overdose this stuff. I am switching to neonitro on a doser. Hopefully that doesn't hit my pH so bad

OP
OP
K

ksims58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have dosed a little too much but I saw a pH drop of 0.2 in my tank. Def be careful not to overdose this stuff. I am switching to neonitro on a doser. Hopefully that doesn't hit my pH so bad
I have had good results with the NP Bacto-Balance over the last month. My nitrates and phosphates have lowered and they are closer to a 10:1 ratio. My algae issue has improved at the same time.

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in the morning at 8:15 and it drops my PH. Normally my PH that time of day is 8.06 to.09. It goes all the way to 8to maybe 7.97ish. My question is has anyone tried having it dose into your skimmer intake? Will it be skimmed out if you do that. Or will it just pass through be aerated and hopefully not cause such a drop?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in the morning at 8:15 and it drops my PH. Normally my PH that time of day is 8.06 to.09. It goes all the way to 8to maybe 7.97ish. My question is has anyone tried having it dose into your skimmer intake? Will it be skimmed out if you do that. Or will it just pass through be aerated and hopefully not cause such a drop?
Most likely it would skim most out! Mb7 requires the skimmer off for a hour or so it doesn’t pull it right away.. vodka on the other hand needs a skimmer to pull the organics and keep o2 levels up.. lol.. I dose both during the middle of my light cycle to keep the ph and o2 up the best I can.. I turn off my return pump and use diy coral snow with Neo nitro and mb7 in my display for 30 min then turn my return and skimmer back on and dose my vodka. It seems to work really well and took my hair algae explosion out in a week..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back