Dosing with Peroxide for Marine Velvet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the casual reader this is not something that is tried and true yet. Just a discussion.

^^ Yes, it is very important to keep that in mind. However, H2O2 has already been proven effective for temporary relief of Velvet as per this study: https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_the_Pacific_Threadfin_Polydactylus_sexfilis

I will also say that I've now run over 50 fish through the 30 min, higher 150ppm H2O2 bath with amazing results. These fish all had Velvet, Brook or Uronema, and the ones that weren't too badly infected (i.e. died) were all clear (and are still clear) following the bath.

But this is all still experimental. For those just wanting healthy fish in the DT, follow the standard QT protocols e.g. copper, prazi, metro, etc.

OP
OP
Heather R

Heather R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

We dosed 7.5 ml at 3:35 last evening.

Our most affected fish, a Sailfin tang wasn't eating at all Monday or Tuesday. Started swimming a bit sideways Tuesday afternoon. I fed him Around 8pm last night. He seemed interested and ate a small bit.

This morning he still looks pretty rough but he was swimming better & eating well! I call that a win...

We dosed another 7.5 ml. this morning at 7:30. (We plan to increase the dosage this evening @ 7:30pm when we dose again) assuming everything is tolerating the 7.5 well we plan to go to 10ml (We're dosing the h202 (peroxide) directly into the sump)

I'll keep posting updates for anyone who wants to follow our progress.

This photo of the tang was taken last night around 7pm. I'll take another one when we turn the lights back on later & compare them.

20190821_082713.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

Our most affected fish, a Sailfin tang wasn't eating at all Monday or Tuesday. Started swimming a bit sideways Tuesday afternoon. I fed him Around 8pm last night. He seemed interested and ate a small bit.

This morning he still looks pretty rough but he was swimming better & eating well! I call that a win...

We dosed another 7.5 ml. this morning at 7:30. (We plan to increase the dosage this evening @ 7:30pm when we dose again) assuming everything is tolerating the 7.5 well we plan to go to 10ml (We're dosing the h202 (peroxide) directly into the sump)

This photo of the tang was taken last night around 7pm. I'll take another one when we turn the lights back on later & compare them.

20190821_082713.jpg
Poor guy! He looks miserable. I hope this method works out with little to no negative affect on the inhabitants.

Do you QT and velvet just slipped through or no QT?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

20190821_082713.jpg
Definitely velvet, I hope this works for you, that is some serious coverage.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Heather R That's a really bad infestation. I feel it's an unrealistic expectation for that diluted amount of H2O2 to rein in velvet in time. A better strategy would be applying the 75 ppm, 30 minute bath; and then transferring the fish into QT for prolonged copper or Chloroquine treatment.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can we string all this together and say that dosing 1ml per 8-10 gallons every 12 hours may *possibly* be effective at controlling ich and velvet?

It's also possible that if Bigfoot got hold of a really small tweezers, maybe from a very small Smurf Nurse, and got really close, while wearing really strong, nerd glasses he could pull those parasites right off that fish. He may even eat them like Chimpanzees do. Or maybe skip the middle "man" and just use chimpanzees's. So many things are possible. But if you threw that fish into copper "and" Chloroquine at the same time, in a day or two you won't see any velvet, crushed velvet . (Or valour) :cool:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

20190821_082713.jpg
How about another update?

OP
OP
Heather R

Heather R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also possible that if Bigfoot got hold of a really small tweezers, maybe from a very small Smurf Nurse, and got really close, while wearing really strong, nerd glasses he could pull those parasites right off that fish. He may even eat them like Chimpanzees do. Or maybe skip the middle "man" and just use chimpanzees's. So many things are possible. But if you threw that fish into copper "and" Chloroquine at the same time, in a day or two you won't see any velvet, crushed velvet . (Or valour) :cool:

Thanks for the reply. It was super helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I didn't think it would help but the Chloroquine and copper mixed together is the only part that would work.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And they gave you the Excellence Award :D

c466abd8-7029-47fd-a32b-082d5b234c4a_screenshot.jpg

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are excellent at derailing a thread.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people would describe his method of reefkeeping as mostly pixies and fairy dust too.

And I would agree with them. :cool:

OK, sorry for derailing the thread. I will go bother someone else.
(But Chloriquine and copper mixed will fix the problem)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I would agree with them. :cool:

OK, sorry for derailing the thread. I will go bother someone else.
(But Chloriquine and copper mixed will fix the problem)

@Paul B So you can mix Chloriquine and Copper together? At what concentrations?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting! I think Velvet May have slipped by in my tank as I’ve now lost 3 fish. The loss today a 10” Vlamingii Tang was found this morning looking just like the sailfin tang picture. I’m heading to Walmart now to get as many big bottles of it now. I’ll let you know how it works in a 600 gallon with a few soft corals and a big Euphyllia colony in it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MrsBugmaster, actually I used to use Quinacrine Hydrocloride which is a prescription malaria medication and I "think" ,but I am not positive if Chloriquine is the same or similar medication. But I used to use it at 8-12mg/gal along with the recommended dose of copper (0.15ppm)

I have used this quite a few times in LFSs and it will clear ich, velvet and I would imagine all parasitic infections in about 24 hours.
I would use it for a week but the parasites disappear in a day.

I am not sure how to find out if Quinicrine is the same as Chloriquine. Maybe Humble knows but they are both for malaria.
I could get the quinicrine from a Vet or a pharmasist.

I see in my old notes I wrote that Chloroquine Phosphate works better than Quinicrine hydrocloride so they may be interchangable at the same dosage.

The quinicrine or Chloriquine will dissipate so it is not necessary to change the water but of course if copper is used that is a different story.

Those two medications will not hurt most inverts but will kill corals and anemones.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want more info. I find this super interesting.

There are also fish hatchery papers that have been done regarding peroxide treatment for a variety of issues. However, you will kill any coral if you use the levels that are needed to be effective.
Also, the quality of peroxide is another thing. Most applications are not referring to the peroxide that you buy over the counter at the drug store, but the use of much, much, much higher concentrations.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting! I think Velvet May have slipped by in my tank as I’ve now lost 3 fish. The loss today a 10” Vlamingii Tang was found this morning looking just like the sailfin tang picture. I’m heading to Walmart now to get as many big bottles of it now. I’ll let you know how it works in a 600 gallon with a few soft corals and a big Euphyllia colony in it.

The peroxide you find at Walmart isn't going to work. From what I remember, the dosages covered in fish hatchery and farms, is based on much higher concentrations. Also, peroxide you buy at the stores have additives in them to keep the peroxide from breaking down. There is no way to know what these additives are or their effect on fish.
It's been years since I read the papers on this, but I'm pretty sure I have that right.

Back