dotty tangs

djapor96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have a 450l reef tank, with tennenti and blue regal tang. They have white dots.
We are over a Prodibio spot and velvet treatment (french drug with methylene blu and malachyte green), but they have still dots.
The fishes are actives and they feed all.

Other fishes (clownfish, dejardini tang, foxface, coral beauty angefish, cardinalfish, yellow wrasse, Anthias) don't have dots in tank.

I know that the white ich show on Tennenti tang black spots.

I think this disease isn't ich and velvet. What is your opinion?
170751813_1962004707272343_1368317583438684382_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue and malachite green really are not very effective at treating marine protozoan diseases and can actually cause more problems than a good copper treatment.
I can’t tell you if that is ich or not, not clear enough of a photo I’m afraid. One thing to look for: if the spots come and go over a day to a day and a half, it is probably ich. If they stay in the same spot for 48 hours, it isn’t ich. Velvet usually has the first symptom of rapid breathing, with no spots.
Jay

OP
OP
D

djapor96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the spots are very small and they come and go in some hours.
I cannot make a good photo, because tehy are visible at a certain angle, and the blue regal is a very fast swimmer. :)
The other fish think of themselves as very photogenic and always swim into the picture.

What treatment or active ingredient can you offer? In Hungary we don't have many options.
The reef tank husbandry is still in its infancy.

OP
OP
D

djapor96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue and malachite green really are not very effective at treating marine protozoan diseases and can actually cause more problems than a good copper treatment.
I can’t tell you if that is ich or not, not clear enough of a photo I’m afraid. One thing to look for: if the spots come and go over a day to a day and a half, it is probably ich. If they stay in the same spot for 48 hours, it isn’t ich. Velvet usually has the first symptom of rapid breathing, with no spots.
Jay

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS of Brodibio spot and velvet:​

• 0.10 mg of 6,9-Diamino-2-ethoxyacridine-DL-lactate monohydrate (ethacridine lactate)
• 0.05 mg of Hexamethylpararosaniline chloride (crystal violet)
• 1.25 mg of N,N,N′,N′-Tetramethyl-4,4′-diamino triphenylcarbenium oxalate (malachite green oxalate)
• 0.10 mg of 3,7-bis(Dimethylamino)phenazathionium chloride (methylene blue)

I know malachite green oxalate is copper free.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the first chemical, but the other three are dyes that have been used to control freshwater fish parasites, and to a lesser extent, marine.
I always use bound copper products or hyposalinity to treat marine ich.
Jay

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay and I were typing at the same time. I was going to say in the absence of getting the proper medication in Hungary, you could try hyposalinity.

On a side note.... it is very exciting to see someone on here from Hungary. My family immigrated to the US from Hungary through Ellis Island. I learned how to cook Hungarian foods from my grandparents. Some of them I wish I knew the proper names for.... like these amazing layered cookies with apricot filling and a topping made of nuts, sugar and egg whites. YUM. We call them our Hungarian Wonder Cookies. We have a big Hungarian community in the Sarasota County area of Florida. Someday, I hope to make the trip over there myself. Welcome to the group!!!
Coffee Time Hungary GIF by Dritan Alsela Coffee

OP
OP
D

djapor96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay and I were typing at the same time. I was going to say in the absence of getting the proper medication in Hungary, you could try hyposalinity.

On a side note.... it is very exciting to see someone on here from Hungary. My family immigrated to the US from Hungary through Ellis Island. I learned how to cook Hungarian foods from my grandparents. Some of them I wish I knew the proper names for.... like these amazing layered cookies with apricot filling and a topping made of nuts, sugar and egg whites. YUM. We call them our Hungarian Wonder Cookies. We have a big Hungarian community in the Sarasota County area of Florida. Someday, I hope to make the trip over there myself. Welcome to the group!!!
Coffee Time Hungary GIF by Dritan Alsela Coffee
I'm glad, that I find here person with Hungarian roots.
I think you, know the cake Nőiszeszély (Whim of Woman).
Női-szeszély-II.jpg

If you can offer a treatment I can search it on internet and maybe I buy it from Germany or UK.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity Treatment Explained Click to open link...

You can try this without buying anything but good food and what you already have.... test kits, refractometer, etc. When my clown got ICK... he went straight into QT. It took about two months before he was passed it and eating, swimming properly again. It was a LOT of water changes, monitoring and patience.

Whim of a Woman.... love that. I am going to have to go check out that website. I truly enjoy Hungarian food. Many thanks!!! Köszönöm

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back