Double or Nothing... AJ's 405-Gallon Reef Savvy Upgrade

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all. Thanks in advance for reading this incredibly long first post! I'd like to use this thread to document our upgrade from a 187-gallon SPS dominated reef to a 405-gallon Reef Savvy tank. My current tank has a build thread on another popular site, but I have not been faithful with updates over the past few years.

The current tank is 60"x30"x24" in 3/4" starfire glass and was a custom build, believed to be built by Oceanic. I purchased the tank used several years ago. I built the stand for the tank fairly tall at 41.25". The setup is bare bottom and consists of a Vectra L1 return pump, two MP60s, an ATB Small skimmer, ATI 8-bulb 48" fixture with a Reefbrite XHO blue strip, Avast marine K2 Kalk stirrer and a Bubble Magus doser. This tank has had its ups and downs, but has been relatively stable for the past year, with good color and growth.

To support the tank an R/O unit is installed in the garage and plumbed to the tank's location through the attic and walls. We also have a 300-gallon storage tank in the garage plumbed to a Blueline pump, which also runs through the attic and walls to the tank's location, used for bi-weekly water changes. There is also a drain that runs under the foundation of the house, out to the yard, that facilitates the draining of the tank.

Last year we did some renovation of our home with the plan to upgrade to a large peninsula tank. Several design choices were made to that end. Recently though an opportunity arose to purchase a local reef that included a Reef Savvy tank with the dimensions we wanted. The only downside is the traditional orientation versus our planned peninsula. After mocking up both options on the floor, the wife and I agreed that this setup might work out even better. We quickly moved to purchase and the tank is now sitting empty in our living room.

The new tank measures 120"x30"x28" with a pair of ghost overflows. It is constructed of 3/4" low iron glass. The tank is in exceptional condition with no scratches, and in true Reef savvy form, amazing silicone work. The current stand is being modified to a height of 43.5" and is being re-finished in white acrylic laminate to match our kitchen cabinets. The canopy will be refinished in the same manner.

We have already acquired all of the equipment that will be used for this build, either as part of the tank package or through subsequent purchases. The tank will be plumbed with two Vectra L1 pumps, to four returns. Each end will have an MP60qd along with an MP40qd, with a third MP40qd on the back wall in the center. The skimmer is a Vertex Alpha 250 and supplementation will come via an MTC pro-cal calcium reactor connected to a Carbon Doser electronic Co2 regulator.

The entire system will be controlled via a classic apex along with an Ecotech Reef link. Lighting will consist of a pair of Giesemann 2x48" t5 retro fixtures, followed by a 60" and a 48" ATI 8-bulb t5 fixture, each with a corresponding Reefbrite xho blue strip. There should be plenty of light with the 20 t5 bulbs, totaling a whopping 1056" of t5 lighting and 108" of Reefbrite XHO strip.

Look forward to your joining me on this journey,

AJ

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AJ my friend this is going to be some build :eek:
Do you have any old pics from your 187?
You know a build thread without pics will be a tough read.............. LOL!
Show us the 405......... as you said double or nothing ;)

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Diesel!

I came home a little late, but here are a few actinic shots of the 187 and some shots of the 405. It looks so sad sitting there empty...

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

For size reference, the box laying on top of the canopy is the 60" ATI fixture.

IMG_0083.JPG

Really looking forward to getting the tank up and running.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AJ's 405 BEAST :eek:

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few photos of the platform I built Saturday to attach beneath the current stand. Once mounted, the entire stand will be wrapped in white acrylic laminate. All doors will be replaced with panels, attached with magnets, allowing for better access to the sump and equipment.

I considered having a steel stand welded and then having that wrapped, but opted to repurpose what I have instead. Glued and screwed, platform is constructed of 2"x10" boards. Should be plenty sturdy.

IMG_9315.JPG

IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

Thanks for looking and don't mind the mess in the garage. All of the tank "stuff" has the whole garage out of sorts.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worried about my precision after the three I enjoyed, but all seems to have turned out okay [emoji6]

South of the border lemonade.......... ever figured why they stick a lemon in the bottle :rolleyes:
Nice job on that my friend,

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South of the border lemonade.......... ever figured why they stick a lemon in the bottle :rolleyes:
Nice job on that my friend,

Thanks!

As far as the lemon, I gave up on that long ago - too much work. Corona straight is just fine [emoji1360]

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the opportunity to work on the tank after church. First order of business was to remove the fans and the Giesenann retro fixtures from the canopy. The cabinet guy is picking it up on Tuesday to re-skin.

IMG_0133.JPG

From there, moved to cleaning out the sump and the inside of the stand, along with removing all of the stand doors. I am pleased with the access I will have with the new magnetic panels. Happy not to have any doors in the way.

IMG_0120.JPG

Here are some close ups of the sump. It is a Synergy Reef Systems custom sump (no top brace, not sure why). Dimensions are 70x20x16 with a total capacity of around 97 gallons.

This is where the ghost overflows enter the sump, followed by a shelf for filter floss, and then the refugium.

IMG_0128.JPG

Next is the skimmer chamber.

IMG_0129.JPG

And finally the return section with R/O float valve. Note all of the industrial Velcro that was SO DIFFICULT to remove!

IMG_0130.JPG

A few closeup of those classy Synergy touches.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

And finally the clean product with all Velcro removed.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

Plan is to try and get the stand mounted on the platform this week while the canopy is being skinned so that the cabinet guy can skin the stand next week and then plumbing can begin.

Thanks for checking in.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put a long days of work in.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Fortunately the wife and kids helped, so I was able to get quality time in with them as well.

You need a avatar picture loaded up.
Every one with a build thread has one, can't go without one ;)

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is going to be nuts! Do you have any plans for the old tank? Maybe a FOWLR for the family?

Back