Double or Nothing... AJ's 405-Gallon Reef Savvy Upgrade

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a local guy doing it cheaper than that. That's maintenance only. Chemicals food etc would be seperate.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned that the T5 will not provide enough PAR to the bottom? How deep do they penetrate to?

I thought hard about the lights. With 20 T5 bulbs and Reefbrite strips, I am confident it will be well lit. I currently have 8 t5 bulbs and a Reefbrite strip on the 187... color and growth are both good.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it just doesnt look that high in the pics. I am taking down my 27" tall tank for a few reasons is that my aquascape sucks for par, i have to many highs and lows some sps do great some dont get enough light others to much. My next tank i debating between 18-20" tall and to have a low all around aquascape with shelf rock, hoping to get even PAR all around.

I felt the same when I took the pics. Looks short because the stand is so tall. I had actually planned on going taller with a custom build, but this deal came up...

Since I keep a mixed reef, the lower spots serve the chalices, favias, and cyphastreas well.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the maintenance on this beast is going to be $400 a month at least!

Got a local guy doing it cheaper than that. That's maintenance only. Chemicals food etc would be seperate.

I plan to do all of the maintenance myself. Since I plan on using a CA reactor, and I have NSW delivered monthly, I am figuring total cost, including electrical, will be around $300 per month, excluding livestock acquisition.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought hard about the lights. With 20 T5 bulbs and Reefbrite strips, I am confident it will be well lit. I currently have 8 t5 bulbs and a Reefbrite strip on the 187... color and growth are both good.

I purchased T5s for my system for the shading from the LED. With the lower light corals you'll have no issues! I wanted to do mixed. It since I'll be adding the emperors and Regals I'm scared theyd eat my LPS and Softies :-( I'll turn the 220 into a mixed

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet what pump or pumps for you going with?

Thanks! Return pumps are two Vectra L1s. They should push less than 6000gph combined, considering head pressure. Tank will also have two MP60s and three MP40s, all QD, to provide the bulk of the flow.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Return pumps are two Vectra L1s. They should push less than 6000gph combined, considering head pressure. Tank will also have two MP60s and three MP40s, all QD, to provide the bulk of the flow.

Vectras are awesome. Pumps major flow into the aquarium. I had read that they could not handle Eductors but that has not been the case for me. Love them.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! That is beyond a beast rank! I bet that sucker is HEAVY! No fair getting a Reef Savvy without the wait. I just got my little 125 last week and I waited over a year for mine. They are works of art though. Following along to watch this one come to life...

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectras are awesome. Pumps major flow into the aquarium. I had read that they could not handle Eductors but that has not been the case for me. Love them.

I used educters on our last tank which was a heavily stocked 180 and they were great. Good to know I have that option. Thanks.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome! Following along.....

Welcome, and thank you for following along.

Wow!! That is beyond a beast rank! I bet that sucker is HEAVY! No fair getting a Reef Savvy without the wait. I just got my little 125 last week and I waited over a year for mine. They are works of art though. Following along to watch this one come to life...

Congratulations on your new tank! They are so finely crafted. Felix really is an artist.

This tank is unbelievably heavy. It took nine grown men to get it on the dollies for the move and even once on the dollies, we struggled. I am not looking forward to having to move it up on to the platform.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow...the fish are going to feel like they're swimming a marathon in that thing!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, and thank you for following along.

Congratulations on your new tank! They are so finely crafted. Felix really is an artist.

This tank is unbelievably heavy. It took nine grown men to get it on the dollies for the move and even once on the dollies, we struggled. I am not looking forward to having to move it up on to the platform.

Let me know ahead of time if you need a hand. [emoji1320]

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll have plenty of light on the sandbed. I have an 8 bulb 60" Sunpower with BML strips on either side and get 300 par on the sandbed with all the bulbs on and the LED's at 40%. Light is 14" AWL, tank is 28" tall.

Good luck with the build!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have plenty of light on the sandbed. I have an 8 bulb 60" Sunpower with BML strips on either side and get 300 par on the sandbed with all the bulbs on and the LED's at 40%. Light is 14" AWL, tank is 28" tall.

Good luck with the build!

That's awesome if I can get PAR on my sandbed from the T5. I'm at 48" deep hoping they can penetrate with the LED. Granted I'll have a lot less T5 bulbs. I'll have 4 covering every 48" of length

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back