Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know ahead of time if you need a hand. [emoji1320]

Thanks, I definitely will!

You'll have plenty of light on the sandbed. I have an 8 bulb 60" Sunpower with BML strips on either side and get 300 par on the sandbed with all the bulbs on and the LED's at 40%. Light is 14" AWL, tank is 28" tall.

Good luck with the build!

Thank you very much. Your par readings are very encouraging. My lights will be much closer to the waterline as they will be in the canopy. I'm thinking 8" AWL.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening.

I currently have 1/2" of white styrofoam under the sump. I don't like the way it looks or the quality of the original install. I am considering replacing it with 1/4" recycled tire matting. Actually, thinking of ordering this one:

Rubber Cal Recycled Floor Mat, Black, 1/4-Inch x 4 x 3-Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V7JBRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_De8hyb4QFDY65

Was hoping to get your thoughts as I can only find a few references for its use under a tank or stand online. Primary purpose is for vibration dampening and noise reduction as the stand floor is flat.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and ordered some high density closed cell neoprene padding in 1/2" thickness for under the sump. It should look and perform better than the white styrofoam currently under there.

Image1478570032.884419.jpg

Also received the four new 2" bulkheads today. Only need two, but wanted to check the quality of the CPR vs Lifegard, so ordered a pair of each. Seem to be the same...

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump is huuuuuge

Seems appropriate timing for one of those "that's what she said" lines, but I digress...

Truth is, it's about a foot longer than it needs to be, maybe more. Makes the spacing in the stand a little more difficult. I wanted to create a dry electronics section, separated from the wet side, but due to the size of the sump, it is not possible.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Any thoughts on tightening 2" bulkheads? I've got six to install between the ghost overflows and the sump. The nut is ~ 3.5" and fixed wrenches in that size range are a few hundred dollars on amazon. Not a purchase I would like to make.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress today. As you may have caught in the photo above, the partially laminated platform was delivered this morning.

IMG_0262.JPG

Had a group of four friends come over to help mount the beast. Six confirmed, but two were so late that they missed the whole event. Started off well organized and prepared.

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

Also added a few more sliders to the bottom (may have gone a bit overboard).

IMG_0265.JPG

Unfortunately in the throws of the moment we forget to grab any action shots. Here are a few of the final adjustments to get it aligned.

IMG_9566.JPG

IMG_9567.JPG

And a little industrial adhesive to go along with the 6" Spax screws - this thing will never come apart!

IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

And finally, after lifting and adjusting over 15 times, and a ton of anxiety on my part, she is mounted and ready for the carpenter to come in and complete the laminate. [emoji322]

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

While I neglected to photograph them, I also received all of the Hayward true union ball valves today along with the Hayward ball valves for the plumbing manifold. Once the laminate is applied, we should be ready to transition right into plumbing! I'm also expecting the 1/2" closed cell neoprene sheet for under the sump to arrive on Monday. I am considering painting the inside of the stand (maybe tomorrow) to afford some additional protection.

That's all for now, thanks for checking in.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!!

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was filled with tedious but necessary work. Started by using ratchet straps to elevate the sump inside the stand. It appears the stand was finished with the sump in it and now it cannot be taken out without disassembling the stand. That isn't an option with the tank mounted, so up it went.

IMG_0287.JPG

Had some additional industrial Velcro patches on the back along wits some zip tie mounts I don't intend to use, so off they came.

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

As you can see from this photo, previous owner had a leak from one of the phantom overflow bulkheads. I noted it was loose to the hand when I tore the tank down. Check out all of the salt creep! I underestimated how difficult it would be to chip and sand all of the salt creep off. Didn't want to use water and saturate the wood.

IMG_0289.JPG

Used a pair of sanders and sandpaper in varying grit from 80 to 220.

IMG_0290.JPG

And after a while, it's just about ready for a few coats of Kilz 2 and then top coat. Hopefully I'll lay the first coat down tomorrow after church.

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Thanks for looking.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud. I almost called you over to lend a hand. I'll probably ask you for some help the next time we have to move it [emoji1377]

No worries. I'm in LA for the temple of the dog concert. Get back home Tuesday!

Back