Doubts about Seachem Phosphate Test

Vitor Schulter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, yesterday for the first time I went to use my Seachem phosphate test. As I didn't know the test I decided to use the standard solution that has 1mg/L to check if I was using it correctly. However, the result was not consistent with the 1mg/L. Getting closer to 2mg/L

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 07.38.25.jpeg

As you can see the color is not matching with 1mg/L
As it is a very simple test procedure, I am suspicious that the test is defective.
Do you think this is likely? Or else, or could I be wrong?

Thanks.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in March 2019 I picked up a Seachm Reef Status Magnesium test that was defective. It would not register anything. I emailed them and after some troubleshooting they sent me a replacement test kit which worked as expected.

I only bring this up to show that it is possible to get a bad test kit. Not claiming that your phosphate kit is bad and definitely not claiming Seachem is bad.

One of the great features of some Seachem tests is the reference solution they provide to test your kit and procedures for accuracy; which you have done.

I like to keep multiple brands of tests around for when I have doubts. Red Sea Phosphate Pro (the one with the color wheel) and Hanna Checker are the two that I like for Phosphate. You can check the Red Sea kits with the Seachem 1mg/l standard too so that is nice. The Hanna checker (at least the one I have) does not read that high.

I would use any other test if you can, then shoot Seachem a nice email if needed.

OP
OP
V

Vitor Schulter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I will try to perform the exchange of this test.

I used it in my aquarium, and it marked that the phosphate is zero. But my aquarium has algae problems of all kinds.

I'm thinking of buying Fauna Marin's Phos 0.04 because it's safe to use and wouldn't depend so much on the accuracy of a test.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back