Downfall of a pico tank

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually just started a pico tank myself. Just a standard 2.5 gallon aquarium. As I look around at information out there on pico reef tanks I'm noticing almost everything I'm seeing is new pico tanks or very young pico tanks. I understand that a lot of people probably just start out small and "outgrow" their pico tank and upgrade to a bigger tank from there. That being said, I'm assuming their is also a very high rate of people that start a pico and don't keep it long term. So I'm wondering, does anyone who has had a pico and ended up breaking it down want to share their reasons on why? Im hoping to keep this up and running for a while and want to learn from others experiences that might have lead them to abandon the project.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I would guess that they are high maintenance and when neglected they go bad quickly.

I just started my first pico last week so I'll follow along on this one!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had mt pico going for around 4 months now and love it its so easy to take care off. i think ppl just get bored of them as i dont think you can do alot with them or keep fish really in them depending

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my pico for 7 years. It was a 2 gallon tank. It was a mostly poorly planned impulse purchase I made while checking out at a fish store. I mostly tore it down because I was moving and have many other tanks but the tank itself was in really rough shape too. Chalice encrusting up the tank (so you see the bottom of the skeleton on the front), scratches. I drilled a hole in the false wall while it was running to accommodate another pump ect. It was just time. The only reason why I don't have one now is I have too many other tanks.

pico2014.jpg

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my pico for 7 years. It was a 2 gallon tank. It was a mostly poorly planned impulse purchase I made while checking out at a fish store. I mostly tore it down because I was moving and have many other tanks but the tank itself was in really rough shape too. Chalice encrusting up the tank (so you see the bottom of the skeleton on the front), scratches. I drilled a hole in the false wall while it was running to accommodate another pump ect. It was just time. The only reason why I don't have one now is I have too many other tanks.

pico2014.jpg
Any experience you want to share after 7 years with one? Big learning curves?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience you want to share after 7 years with one? Big learning curves?

Well for one the pico proved you could grow corals under LED's but I think that's been taken care of since :)

On a more serious note, I really became a big believer in bare bottoms after this tank. For most reef applications but especially picos. Yes you can rinse a small sand bed, but if you want it last years and years and can't be sure you're always going to have time to rinse the sand just skip it. It's a small tank and you can easily find something to grow on the bottom.

Assuming it's not your only tank I would not waste my time testing, or dosing a pico. I have tried both in the past. In the time I can test alkalinity and calcium I can just change 100% of the water with water I already know the parameters of. That can either be from a larger tank that you are testing or perhaps freshly mixed saltwater that you have also tested. If you can't do weekly water changes though I might consider kalk or a 1 part dose depending on the needs, however if you're willing to figure out those things you might as well just change the water.

If you do a packed mixed reef pico some things are just going to get overgrown and die, it is what it is. If you want to keep more species give them more space. Still you can mix many / most kinds in a tiny space just be prepared for future issues or some types of coral to just do better.

Most fish don't live long in a pico. There can be 2 completely different reasons for that. They might not be suited for the tank, but if they are suited then the species if fish likely only has a lifespan of a few years. Tiny gobies live shorter lives then our bigger reef fish. Generally speaking of course. I think I had a fish eaten by the mini carpet anemone as well. Sexy shrimp are not reef safe which is not a problem in a big tank, in a pico you can see them doing damage. That's fine don't buy expensive 1 polyp frags and stick them in and you'll enjoy watching the shrimp.

Again I'll stress water changes in picos solve everything. The tanks are so small, it's just so easy to do. If something doesn't look right just change the water. If that doesn't solve it you have an issue outside of regular parameters.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top-offs are very important, as salinity changes very fast in small water volumes due to evap. also have to keep corals in check as picos get overgrown quickly. Most are to small for fish so can be 'boring' in that regard. equipment selection is very limited for picos as well. 80-100% waterchanges are easy so no need to dose. I have a 40g and 2 picos.

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top-offs are very important, as salinity changes very fast in small water volumes due to evap. also have to keep corals in check as picos get overgrown quickly. Most are to small for fish so can be 'boring' in that regard. equipment selection is very limited for picos as well. 80-100% waterchanges are easy so no need to dose. I have a 40g and 2 picos.
No I'll effects from 100% water changes? If heard both schools of thought. Personally already started down the 100% water change route. Also already have an ATO hooked up so clear there.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'll effects from 100% water changes? If heard both schools of thought. Personally already started down the 100% water change route. Also already have an ATO hooked up so clear there.

I have done many water changes in the 90% range on smaller tanks (10g to 30g), and a few on my 120g tank during past moves. Never any losses to coral or fish.

How's your pico doing so far? I just came across some photos that got me contemplating trying something in a vase....

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they really high maintenance? I think that really depends on what you are stocking the tank with?

Here is my 4 gallon pico tank that is 8 months old.
Now I would never stock such a small tank with SPS but rock flowers and some softies? Hell yeah.

Maintenance is almost non existent on this tank. I probably do a 10% water change once a month if that. This is also my first pico and only my second tank. If I can have success, I'm sure anyone can. The major factor to a successful low maintenance pico is stocklist in my opinion.

20200729_182256.jpg 20200927_210615.jpg 20200927_205358.jpg

Last edited:

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I found the maitenance To be incredibly easy vs my other tanks. We are talking about 5 minutes a week(80% water change) no testing, no dosing, no chemicals, didn’t even have any equipment in mine to worry about, did well with just an airstone. I could leave the house for a week or more with out any concern whatsoever. I did take it down eventually though because I had a digitata grow super rapidly encrusting all the main rock and start messing up the water chemistry. It grew right over hundreds of Zoas and caused my other SPS to die as well by plummeting the alkalunity. Lesson learned no fast growers in a pico.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they really high maintenance? I think that really depends on what you are stocking the tank with?

Here is my 4 gallon pico tank that is 8 months old.
Now I would never stock such a small tank with SPS but rock flowers and some softies? Hell yeah.

Maintenance is almost non existent on this tank. I probably do a 10% water change once a month if that. This is also my first pico and only my second tank. If I can have success, I'm sure anyone can. The major factor to a successful low maintenance pico is stocklist in my opinion.

20200729_182256.jpg 20200927_210615.jpg 20200927_205358.jpg

Great tank. What light are you running?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back