Dozens of baby neglected clowns being kept in ridiculous conditions...what to do to help?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, as you may know by my name, I live in Bangkok and here we have open air shops all clumped together (mostly low end products and out of tune vendors) one of these small markets which I visit occasionally that's near me has plenty of freshwater fish of every kind for sale but everytime I go, I notice two small maybe 10 gallon tanks off to the side which are full of baby clowns and occasionally there will be an unhealthy starfish or urchin with them. The tanks are completely neglected in every way possible. (yesterday they had a poor anemone in there slowly dying) What I don't understand is why have them there in those conditions when the rest of the market sells freshwater only! No customers have a saltwater tank even if they wanted a clown. Anyway, I was considering buying a large quantity just to save them but I don't know what I would do with so many...any ideas?

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have to agree with the above. So you go and buy 15 of those baby clowns and make yourself a beautiful clown harem tank. The seller is probably going to buy more clowns to put in that little tank in their place because somebody bought them before.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have to agree with the above. So you go and buy 15 of those baby clowns and make yourself a beautiful clown harem tank. The seller is probably going to buy more clowns to put in that little tank in their place because somebody bought them before.
Yeah, it just makes me sad to see things like that and thought just maybe someone might have some crazy idea, but you guys are right

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could complain to the shop, however I sincerely doubt it would change anything.
Yeah, they don't care a bit. Especially cause its not even a shop, it's a vending stall (again just a couple tanks)...I especially hate it when they throw an anemone or little urchin in there...they must not last past 3 days

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But believe me, there are plenty of vendors and shop owners who keep pristine conditions so don't take this as a representation of people in general

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But believe me, there are plenty of vendors and shop owners who keep pristine conditions so don't take this as a representation of people in general
There are shops here that vary greatly from nice and clean that care for their animals to one's that are disgusting and are only in it to make a dollar regardless of how the animals get treated.
You may be on the other side of the world from me but people aren't all that much different regardless of the part of the world where they live.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are shops here that vary greatly from nice and clean that care for their animals to one's that are disgusting and are only in it to make a dollar regardless of how the animals get treated.
You may be on the other side of the world from me but people aren't all that much different regardless of the part of the world where they live.
I completely agree!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different country and rules than the US. Nobody here can help, maybe buy them and put them in the ocean or something? The vendor is just gonna get more lol

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy them, buying them will only make the vendor get more. We have the same issue with people "rescuing fish" from Petco, if the fish didn't sell then the store wouldn't want to carry them anymore. People that "rescue" a bunch of bettas from a Petco really just freed up shelf space for more bettas

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy them, buying them will only make the vendor get more. We have the same issue with people "rescuing fish" from Petco, if the fish didn't sell then the store wouldn't want to carry them anymore. People that "rescue" a bunch of bettas from a Petco really just freed up shelf space for more bettas
I buy all my fish from Petco.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have have been to many PetCo stores in the states around me and even they very greatly from one store to the next. I have 3 within an hour of me, one is disgusting and most things look half dead, one is okay, and the other which is managed by a passionate hobbyist is absolutely amazing. When is the last time that you saw acropora frags at a PetCo and they actually look good. IME how good a PetCo store is depends on whether the employees know/care about how to properly care for the animals.

I have 2 stores that I buy fish from and one is that PetCo

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could prepare to purchase a large order of fish they care well for and then change your mind when you see how disgusting the clowns look. If they speak money you have to speak money too

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have have been to many PetCo stores in the states around me and even they very greatly from one store to the next. I have 3 within an hour of me, one is disgusting and most things look half dead, one is okay, and the other which is managed by a passionate hobbyist is absolutely amazing. When is the last time that you saw acropora frags at a PetCo and they actually look good. IME how good a PetCo store is depends on whether the employees know/care about how to properly care for the animals.

I have 2 stores that I buy fish from and one is that PetCo
They're definitely hit and miss, I have two Petcos within 20 minutes of my home, one is just bad, and the other has great looking FW tanks but their SW tanks are U.G.L.Y lol neither carries any corals except brown toadstools :(

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, as you may know by my name, I live in Bangkok and here we have open air shops all clumped together (mostly low end products and out of tune vendors) one of these small markets which I visit occasionally that's near me has plenty of freshwater fish of every kind for sale but everytime I go, I notice two small maybe 10 gallon tanks off to the side which are full of baby clowns and occasionally there will be an unhealthy starfish or urchin with them. The tanks are completely neglected in every way possible. (yesterday they had a poor anemone in there slowly dying) What I don't understand is why have them there in those conditions when the rest of the market sells freshwater only! No customers have a saltwater tank even if they wanted a clown. Anyway, I was considering buying a large quantity just to save them but I don't know what I would do with so many...any ideas?
Almost feels like buying them rewards the vendor and only encourages him to buy more. You’re in between a rock and a hard place. Hope things work out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back