Dr. Foster and Smith warehouse and website closure.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco just shut down their location that was closest to me

Urban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried calling them today about an order, and got some odd recording that said no employees were available due to "staff meetings", but that normal availability would return tomorrow. I guess this explains it... This absolutely sucks.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With online sales on the rise, and brick and mortar stores having difficulty (in general), I'm sort of surprised it's not the other way around.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something doesn’t add up. I can certainly see them closing redundant facilities, and probably discontinue the DFS branded products, but to shut down the online site .... makes no sense to me. Pehaps wise to not overreact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something doesn’t add up. I can certainly see them closing redundant facilities, and probably discontinue the DFS branded products, but to shut down the online site .... makes no sense to me. Pehaps wise to not overreact.

They have already come out and said they are shutting the website and the facility down, along with shutting the pharmacy down as well. They are only keeping live aquaria in the same facility.

Borchers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. This happening all over. Big companies are buying up the little guys and shutting them down.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Back 15-17 years ago I used to get corals from DFS. They always had good stuff. That was the last place I saw the old Xmas tree rock for sale

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have already come out and said they are shutting the website and the facility down, along with shutting the pharmacy down as well. They are only keeping live aquaria in the same facility.

Have they though? I suppose one could infer or assume based on the announcement, but I have not seen definitively that the website will close - perhaps there was a further press release that I have not seen. Still makes no sense to me, particularly since the Petco website is just awful. Maybe the pet industry is bucking the trend in almost all others and there's massive growth in customers coming to their physical stores LOL ….. DFS website is still offering/accepting auto deliveries ….. which you'd think they'd suspend if the site were closing. We shall see I suppose.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have to do with the difficulty in tracking 31,000 taxing districts in the United States and the expense of collecting and paying said taxes that is coming due to the actions of several states and the Supreme Court. This could spread to other online stores as well. Someone was saying the cost of software could run into the hundreds of thousands per business to collect taxes from all these districts as the demand expands and each authority attempts to get it's pound of flesh.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco says 59 employees in the Live Aquaria division will remain employed beyond the closure.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so sad... I hope Divers Den stays open, since it is in the Wisconsin location. It is about the only place I buy fish now, with the rapid increase in diseased livestock...

Agreed! I shop here often too but I have had some bad fish come from DD lately but the refund is always nice.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wander into the PetCo in Stevens Point Wi from time to time to pick up frozen food. Think I will stay out of their store from now on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back