Dr. Foster and Smith warehouse and website closure.

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Livinlocal, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ScooterV

ScooterV Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That explains why when I tried to call LA yesterday on an order I had placed I got only a message stating customer service was closed for the day for employee meetings and I should try again the next day. I don't think this bodes well long term for Diver's Den either. Doesn't seem like it would fit into their core business and be removed at some point :(

2. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Well-Known Member

I have NEVER checked Petco.com for fish... although I did just look and noticed the prices are "close"
    petco.jpg
    LA.jpg

3. Livinlocal

Livinlocal Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I’m not sure if anybody here who is part of the huge Petco sale a month or two ago, but they sold 200 gallon buckets of tropic marin pro for only $35. I bought 10 buckets, and they were the new label.

I am going to take a guess they were trying to clear out DFS’s salt

4. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

That's insane - I would have done the same

Livinlocal likes this.
  5. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Well-Known Member

Acquisitions like this are happening across the industry.

Central Brands (aqueon, coralife, Kaytee, zodiac, ect) has bought up some small animal and fish suppliers recently. Rumor is that they acquired the contract to fill small animal and fish orders for petsmart and possibly petco.

6. Opus

Opus Valuable Member

Did you happen to check the shipping to see if they came from the DFS warehouse?

7. TerraFerma

TerraFerma Active Member

I think I saw in a Petco earnings print a while back that Liveaquaria has never been in the black - so wouldn't be shocking if they shut it down. Wouldn't be a terrible thing - everyone else is getting squeezed by a subsidized loss making livestock seller with ridiculously low free shipping mins and an easy refund if your item dies within two weeks. Plus for me at least the quality of their livestock hasn't been great for some years.

4FordFamily likes this.
  8. Tailfisher

Tailfisher Member

dang , that really sucks. They have been in business for many decades.

9. mich2599

mich2599 Well-Known Member Louisiana Reef Club

Use 15RXJAN for 15% off works for AI, Ecotech, Gyre....

ekoed, pelphrey and Z3speed4me like this.
  10. BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ Well-Known Member

That's pretty sad, buy yeah they bought out competition, they will shut it down and force people to local stores where the prices are very different. Won't affect me much as I dont remember last time I bought from them but yeah, I spent decent amount of money with them in my early stages of fresh and saltwater hobby along with supplies for our beloved Boxer (R.I.P Puffer)

I've also ordered previously from LA but thats staying online - for now.

11. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Petco and Petsmart and related mass merchandiser models are the single largest reason we are having fish disease problems in the distribution chain. The reason is they own the distribution chain including Quality Marine and Seagrest Farms. Mass merchandisers are not equipped to sell live stock of any kind. They are a major cause of destruction of the local fish store and it's relationship with customers. This has always been a bad business model from day one. I have always restricted my purchases from either source. I will only buy fish from a local aquarium store or trusted source. That means I have to sometimes drive 6 hours to buy fish or corals so I can support fish stores that do a great job in handling the livestock. Buying from Live Aquaria or Divers Den only perpetuates this problem in the distribution chain. If you want change or better supply stop using mass merchandising companies that are not equipped to handle livestock. Actually stop using Petco and Petsmart period. :eek:

Purchase closer to the source as much as possible like collectors, mariculture, propagation or breeding facilities. The quality of livestock and relationship to people who actually care about the fish, invertebrates, and corals will help to strengthen the supply chain.

Central Pet and Central Brands are all in the mix of controlling the distribution of pet products in the United States. They have done much to kill the quality of products offered through local pet stores. They also are responsible for the vertical integration of the supply chain. This has just increased the level of cheap low quality products offered at many pet stores. And they then have to compete with Petco and Petsmart who buy the same low quality products in larger volume which hurts the local store that has the same product on the shelf. No local store can afford a "dollar a gallon" sale twice a year on the very same products Central sold them at a much higher cost. Then they wonder why they are not competing with the local mass merchandiser?;Blackeye

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    acabgd likes this.
  12. BGrand

BGrand Only dead fish swim with the stream. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Thanks just bought three different Hanna Checkers and got 25% of each one!

4FordFamily and ndrwater like this.
  13. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Well-Known Member

Funny how a flea and tick coupon works for radions.... too bad I don't need any :(

pelphrey and Matt Carden like this.
  14. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

15. Matt Carden

Matt Carden Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019

16. shred5

Has it been confirmed they bought quality marine?

17. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award Expert Contributor

No, sorry -- Quality Marine is the supplier of Live Aquaria's fish (most of them). They were also the wholesaler for Petco, petsolutions.com, and many others. They have not purchased QM.

ndrwater likes this.
  18. shred5

OK because I heard some where else to that they had but it was never confirmed.
    Worried me because my lfs gets some stuff from QM and that would hurt them.
    They can get me anything pretty much and cheaper than LA.

19. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I’ve ordered fish online from Petco before. I got 3 fish shipped free with my $8 repeat delivery of Kent minerals on different occasions. They got wise to my trick and it didn’t work when my kid added an eel to my repeat delivery right before Christmas.

20. bsagea

bsagea Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

Sorry for their employees for sure! Unfortunately, IMO the take-over by PETCO was the worse thing they could have done. Their livestock and customer service was NOTHING like it was before PETCO took them over. I too heard that they were trying to acquire Quality Marine. Hopefully that will never happen!

DSC reef likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted