Dr. Foster and Smith warehouse and website closure.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NEVER checked Petco.com for fish... although I did just look and noticed the prices are "close"
petco.jpg

LA.jpg

best review on the site

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ish/live-saltwater-fish/female-dispar-anthias

★★★★★★★★★★1 out of 5 stars.

· 2 years ago
Horrible
Bought this fish for my son and it bit his hand!!!

✘ No,
I do not recommend this product.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man that sucks. Guess I should cancel the auto shipments of DFS branded dog stuff I have from them.

I'm kinda tempted to use that 15RXJAN code on some MAP stuff though.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Petco.com and I believe dropping DFS was so they could take over the pharmacy aspect. I just got bombarded with offers for pet prescriptions. I don’t know that Petco has ever done online meds but it’s quite obvious now.

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to check the shipping to see if they came from the DFS warehouse?

Unfortunately I didn’t, I didn’t even think about that at the time. I’d quickly unboxed them, and threw the cardboard away.

They also had their sale on the probiotic salt for $5 cheaper. I bought a few buckets of that as well.

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little more insight information for you guys, that makes me believe they are not going to get rid of live aquaria at all.

So shortly after Petco bought live aquaria, they actually opened up a store here in San Diego, advertising live aquaria and setup reef tanks in the store promoting live aquaria and giving information about fish and coral. I will see if I can find some more information on it. This has me thinking they won’t be shutting them down considering they just opened up a store strictly for live aquaria.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...display-prototype-in-petco-subsidiary.423558/

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I didn’t, I didn’t even think about that at the time. I’d quickly unboxed them, and threw the cardboard away.

They also had their sale on the probiotic salt for $5 cheaper. I bought a few buckets of that as well.

Wish I had seen it. I've bought my last few buckets of TM from them for around $55, which is a great price. I also buy their DFS branded calcium and carbonate from them. Guess I'm going to have to find something else to use. Looking on the site all they have available is the really large sizes and those aren't on sale.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry -- Quality Marine is the supplier of Live Aquaria's fish (most of them). They were also the wholesaler for Petco, petsolutions.com, and many others. They have not purchased QM.

"Central is a very large corporation that is publicly traded. “The acquisition allows Central to strengthen its position in the aquatics category and gives us the opportunity to enjoy significant synergies with our existing aquatics business. Importantly, it also enables us to partner with our customers to deliver healthy category growth,” said George Roeth, President & CEO of Central Garden & Pet." https://reefbuilders.com/2016/10/25/segrest-farms-purchased-central-garden-pet-60-million-cash/

Checking the publication on the owners of Quality Marine not sure I have any of the PIJAC or Pet Business Magazines left from my time in the industry. Last mention of Phil Shane is around 2010 at MACNA.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks. Guess I should cancel the auto shipments of DFS branded dog stuff I have from them.

I'm kinda tempted to use that 15RXJAN code on some MAP stuff though.

Shame on them...this is still up on their website.
" Never run out! Sign up for Auto Delivery today. "
I think they should just be honest, have a fire sale and move on...

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is posted in their scrolling messages

Today Only - 25% OFF reg-priced aquarium supplies w/code EXTRA25

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New to me news and that is Crazy. I buy a lot from them - Even my frozen foods exclusively. They are 4 hrs from me. Will have to pay attention to clearance specials !!!
Another failure of Petco.

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the takeover the products with their name has not gone down but to the very bottom.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used any of their products but know a lot of people who have (especially on here!). It’s a shame to see a good reef based company go away like this. Such a fun and exiting hobby but needs more public attention. Keeping fish and a reef is harder than keeping any cat or dog. This is a fun and fascinating hobby! We need all the companies and individuals in this hobby/business we can get!

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:mad::mad:Look back. Do your fact checking. Not long ago ATM ( acrylic tank manufacturer) bought into petco. You want to know where it started to shift from. Back them. ATM, either Owens or is partnered with a LA wholesalers. Quality marine. You know, the wholesalers that's pumping tainted fish into the market. :mad::mad: I use to own stock in CG&P, Central Garden and Pet. I still get the stock meetings and minutes report.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does suck for the employees, but even with the strong presence of DFS, I knew Petco would ruin it. I'm so surprised not many people here have noticed the steady decline not only on the customer service of DFS, but also the pricing. I knew something had happened with DD years ago before it was even known Petco bought them. I started receiving sick and dying fish, sickly corals and clams, wysiwyg that was measured by a toddler. No one else has noticed mislabel species like painted anglers listed as wartskin anglers as an example, and prices being all over the place. I received a virulent strain of velvet from DD, I'm sure their old DD qt practices went right out the window. As in pure corporate precision, they likely got rid of the higher paid experts and hired cheap inexperienced replacements.

I know 1st hand how Petco works, I use to work for one of the largest privately owned mobile dog grooming businesses in the country. Petco wanted to break into the mobile business and bought it, they put it out of business in under 2 years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back