Dr. Foster and Smith warehouse and website closure.

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Livinlocal, Jan 9, 2019.

1. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "listen to the colour of your dreams” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

So who would be interested in DD/LA? I am not sure a BRS or Marine Depot would want to take on something with that much risk. Maybe a BlueZooAquatics merger or a WWC expansion. A lot of these companies had a good Christmas I bet, so maybe someone is thinking about it.

2. Saveafish

Saveafish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Marine depot use to have Marine depot live.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  3. Onevikesfan

Onevikesfan New Member

Disappointing to say the least, 1 run 2 community freshwater tanks and have always bought everything needed from them

4. EHerbert

EHerbert Active Member

I have used the Dr.s for more than 25 years. This is HORRIBLE news. Very disappointed.

Clarinuto likes this.
  5. Steven Garland

Steven Garland Active Member

Yeah this is just sad...

6. furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes Member R2R Supporter

Coupon codes seem to have stopped working today.

theatrus likes this.
  7. furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes Member R2R Supporter

I'm glad Petco never did well in my town. They opened up a handful of stores quite a while ago but they were significantly more expensive than any of stores, local and chain, and ended up closing all but one location.

8. ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare Valuable Member

That’s probably happening . I am already guilt of it buying everything on amazon because I can’t stand the slow shipping

Awesome Dennis likes this.
  9. DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Im not finding much on sale on Dr. F&S currently.

10. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would actually be a little of afraid of buying certain things from them if they are being shut down.
    Some of the stuff might be handled by the manufacturer but it is so much easier to return something if it does not work.
    Returns might be tough if employees knew and are leaving for other jobs. They might be very happy at this point and not want to help. Also they may not want to deal with stuff if they are going to have no job.

11. alton

alton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

This happens more than you think. Happens all the time in the electrical supply business. Any one remember what happened to the best Aquarium building company ever, Oceanic Aquariums in Dallas?

12. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

This happened to hubby’s job. They relocated us, sold the division he worked for, and 9 months later, they announced the closure. It was maddening and scary. I’ll pray for the DFS people. That’s really sad.

13. Foothill Corals

Foothill Corals Active Member

Petco ran the largest online pet company into the ground in only three years. This sucks for all those people loosing their jobs. It would be nice to see someone like Chewy step in and save this location and employees.

I'll never shop at Petco again!

14. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

They probably was their intent when they bought them originally.
    They probably bought them to remove a competitor and/or strengthen their offerings.

15. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Article Administrator

Just my own 2 cents here. The DFS website blocks anyone outside of the US (like me) to even read their articles. Even if you weren't trying to buy anything. We can't even see the site. Which always infuriated me.

andrewkw and 3Ford1AstonFamily like this.
  16. Lor

Lor Active Member

Part if it might be IT security policy. If they dont do business with that country then there "might" be no reason for folks in that country to be able to access the products they sell. Like you said, Unfortantely this blocks others from reading articles that could be helpful.

17. ReefWithCare

Chewy is owned by PetSmart

18. ReefWithCare

I think this is them focusing on upbranding everything to PetCoach. LA is still a source for Petco aquatic livestock and 100% aquaculture plan so I don’t feel that will go anywhere soon.

Livinlocal likes this.
  19. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Article Administrator

Well, whatever the reason for it was, I'd say it was poor business practice. I often buy stuff in the states, have it shipped to a friend in Bellingham, WA, then either go down and get it or have a friend bring it over the border for me and mail it to me on the Canadian side.

It was a fairly new change too, because a year or two ago, I could access their website, no problem. I also look at lots of websites for research and checking prices, just for articles, and I link to what I'm talking about. So, in my particular case, it would have been beneficial for them to let me read articles and look at products. Definitely doesn't matter now.

20. infinite0180

infinite0180 Well-Known Member

Im upset! I missed the deals! Hopefully they give another 25% off...

Draft saved Draft deleted