Dr. Frankenstein Frags a Hybrid Open Brain Coral

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago, I posted a thread in hopes of an ID on an oddly confused, open brain/cyphastea, hybrid, thing...
(Two year old Mystery LPS - came in on a frag years ago)

Starting from a microscopic speck among a Goniopora Petco frag, it has been gaining strength non-stop for two years.

Well, around 3'oclock last night, lying sleepless in bed, the reefkeeping gods came to me in a vision.
One rest upon each of my shoulders. The first, representing honesty, integrity, PETA, and good will, and the second, being my entirely marred and empty wallet. My poor wallet, as dry as can be from the endless spade-fulls of cash that have been shoveled into the great big furnace that is my aquarium. Their arguing leaving a timeless question among my restless thoughts...

"...what would be the best way to split this sucker and make some mad cash?!"

"...we don't want to do that, Fish_Sticks, we could lose the entire coral, this thing is like a child to us, we've practically grown up together!"

"...don't you want to share this freaky coral with others?! Don't be greedy and just keep it to yourself!! Look at how fat it's getting, it will pop if we don't do something!"

"... but guys, how would I even go about splitting such a coral?"

"... you've been wanting to get a dremel for quite some time, right?! I say we cut it right down the middle!"

"... *sigh* I cannot believe your ears! You cannot cut the flesh, that cannot end well..."

Many more hours passed as I struggled to answer such an important question - so much responsibility rest atop my fingertips.

Fears of losing it all almost stopped me in my tracks...
... that is, until an wild idea was formed that seemed just mad enough to work!

Join me, over these next 3-4 weeks... as I risk everything with attempts at placing tighter and tighter rubber bands on this never before seen brain coral so that I can then, finally, Dremel it in two! Let's begin with rubber band #1, shall we?

Mwuhuhahahahahaha!

download.jpg
20201012_191326.jpg
20201101_202447.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish_Sticks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 - another rubber band - it's doing great!

20201104_213230.jpg

Night polyps galore yesterday.
20201102_233149.jpg

OP
OP
Fish_Sticks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so sad for the coral, but this is science! Can't wait to see the results, and this is by far one of the coolest specimens I have ever seen! If you ever get an ID on it let me know.
It is indeed a philosophically complicated situation, but she wants to spread and conquer the world! :D
I have no idea what this thing is, really wish I did, but it seems to be a product of crossbreeding from some breeders grow out tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed a philosophically complicated situation, but she wants to spread and conquer the world! :D
I have no idea what this thing is, really wish I did, but it seems to be a product of crossbreeding from some breeders grow out tank.
if it eats New York you’re responsible....oh and I get naming rights..right? (psst hint “Cloverfield”) :p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back