• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it's insane to pay that much for a fish no matter how rich you.
Have you seen the news lately, lines hundreds of cars deep, people waiting for food to feed their families.
This is a great hobby for sure but we shouldn't let it take away our humanity. Let that fish stay in the ocean's depth where it belongs.
While i agree that the money could be probably spent on better things, that argument could be applied to any fish in general. Its also important we understand these rarer species to help with conservation efforts, for people like chad vossen who i assume was attempting to breed them, especially with ocean pollution and global warming threatening the fish we love.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i agree that the money could be probably spent on better things, that argument could be applied to any fish in general. Its also important we understand these rarer species to help with conservation efforts, for people like chad vossen who i assume was attempting to breed them, especially with ocean pollution and global warming threatening the fish we love.

I agree with you, but is the rarity and beauty of this fish really what is driving this fish to be collected and sold, not to be studied? I bet if this was a dark green fish no one would care, except for a scientist. Really think of this hobby...would it be so popular if all the corals were brown and all the fish were drab? Would people really care, would they really see the beauty of the ecosystem and want to conserve it if it was all muted colors?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, but is the rarity and beauty of this fish really what is driving this fish to be collected and sold, not to be studied? I bet if this was a dark green fish no one would care, except for a scientist. Really think of this hobby...would it be so popular if all the corals were brown and all the fish were drab? Would people really care, would they really see the beauty of the ecosystem and want to conserve it if it was all muted colors?
I do agree, most likely due to its colours, gains it some popularity. Though i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some people may like a browned out tank of corals, while most enjoy the bright candy corals of most reef tanks. I suppose the same will go for fish, like when a female pitcairn angelfish (genicanthus spinus) went for $9000 at least, i remember last year on divers den . Just a plain shiny blue fish and someone bought it. I think people need a reason to care about something, and if bright colours get people to care then thats important, but there will always be some people caring about the more drab things cause everyone likes different things or maybe they want to support the underdog. Though i doubt the reef aquarium hobby would be so popular like you say, if it was all brown, so thankfully it isnt or people may not care so much.

I dont mean to be rude or anything, just how i see it.

Tl02022020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is diving to 300 ft dangerous for the collector? I’m wondering what the person who went and caught this got paid. Nowhere near 3 grand I bet. It’s a cool looking fish but I would have to have a LOT more reason to spend so much.

U

User1

View Badges
To me it's insane to pay that much for a fish no matter how rich you.
Have you seen the news lately, lines hundreds of cars deep, people waiting for food to feed their families.
This is a great hobby for sure but we shouldn't let it take away our humanity. Let that fish stay in the ocean's depth where it belongs.

How about 1 player on a baseball team who has a 430 million dollar 12 year contract.

It is a hobby. Hobbyists buy whatever fish they want. Some are collectors. Some seek rarity. With the money noted above or whatever the hobbyist has who is to say they are not helping humanity as well?

U

User1

View Badges
Is diving to 300 ft dangerous for the collector? I’m wondering what the person who went and caught this got paid. Nowhere near 3 grand I bet. It’s a cool looking fish but I would have to have a LOT more reason to spend so much.

It is dangerous, yes. Diving in general is dangerous (I'm an active diver). Diving at that depth requires special gear, is more technical, requires more time for both fish and collector so they don't get hurt. I could go on but we can just leave it at that.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is diving to 300 ft dangerous for the collector?

Yes. As @saf1 said, you need more training and equipment. Anything below about 120' (i think?) should have extra certifications, and you need to do safety stops on the way up. At that depth, you can't simply go to the surface if something goes wrong.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes. As @saf1 said, you need more training and equipment. Anything below about 120' (i think?) should have extra certifications, and you need to do safety stops on the way up. At that depth, you can't simply go to the surface if something goes wrong.

Correct. It is around 100 - 130 feet we call the recreational limits. I personally do not go deeper than 115. Last one I did was a F4U Corsair wreck. Safety stops and spare air staged for safety is a must even if using a rebreather...lots of gear and some of it isn't cheap and I wouldn't want to rent something like that when doing that sort of diving.

Personally speaking the price for me and the fish isn't something I would buy. However, I do know that this is hand caught and diving for it is going to run more. So I respect that and leave it for the collectors.

Tl02022020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there’s clearly a demand for these fish. Sounds like they are quite a feat to catch. I wonder what it looks like 300 feet down. Is it even light down there?

U

User1

View Badges
Well there’s clearly a demand for these fish. Sounds like they are quite a feat to catch. I wonder what it looks like 300 feet down. Is it even light down there?

I can't speak for 300 feed but would wager there is to some degree depending on dive location. I can tell you diving in Monterey off of Monastery Beach (aptly named btw) it is deep. Beyond stupid deep and at around 120 feet deep there is bull kelp at the bottom reaching up to the surface. If you have ever walked through the Red Woods in California or further up North it is similar to the light shinning through them reaching the forest floor. Flipping over on your back swimming every so slow looking up through the kelp. Schools of fish, sunlight, and a sudden darting of a sea lion or sea otter. It is crazy.

I've also been down in Hawaii doing a few wreck dives. That FU Corsair I spoke about above had a huge brain coral in the body of the plane. Also a moray eel :). Lots of corals spread over the wreck yet nothing else in sight for 100 feet in any direction except for the garden eel things.

You would be surprised what grows.

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you Angel_ Anthias lover. I'm just stating my own opinion and no one listens to me, not even my dog. However, I've never purchased a fish or coral for more than I've given to charity.

A couple thoughts I had on high-end spending (in this hobby... or in general):
  • We know nothing of the overall spending habits of the purchaser. He/she may donate $100 to charity for every $1 of discretionary spending.
  • We need wealthy folks spending their money. Sometimes the purchases may seem excessive (or even absurd), but it keeps the economic wheels turning.

Good debate though :cool:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back