Dr. Tim’s Fishless cycling question/confusion

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Hope you’re having a great Friday! Have cycling question where I’m a bit confused because of two sets of instructions. Using Dr. Tim’s Fishless Cycle; One and Only and Ammonia. Using Red Sea Master test kit.

Background:
Biocube 32 with with Marco Rocks dry rock and 20# of Caribsea Agra-Live sand
Approx 25.6 g of water in tank due to the displacement of rock and substrate. Used Imagitarium Pacific Water.
Day 1: Dosed Dr. Tim‘s One and Only and based on net volume, 2ppm of Ammonia. 25gal x 4 drops per gal
Day 2: First test of Ammonia was not on the chart. It was more ”bluish” which indicated above 2ppm. Came upon a trick (dont know if it is accurate but did it anyway), used a 50/50 mixture of tank water and ro/di. Took measurement and doubled it. That yielded a result of 2.4ppmof ammonia. Nitrites: .05, PH: 8.2
Day 3: Same results as previous day. 2.4ppm Ammonia, Nitrites .05, PH: 8.2
Day 4: Ammonia 2.0ppm and Nitrites: 0.1ppm (here, I assume we are underway??). PH: 8.2

Here is where it gets a bit confusing. Dr. Tim’s site says don’t dose ammonia until you read 2.0ppm. (4drops /gal)
Another article popped up on Marine Depot where it says if Ammonia and Nitrites are below 1.0ppm, add 4 drops per gallon.

Looking for clarification and guidance from the Veterans on when (or if) I should dose ammonia again?

Thank you In advance!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nitrates using a reputable (i.e. not API) test kit? The cycle is not complete until the ammonia has been converted to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate.

In my experience, Dr Tim's bacteria in a bottle works slower, longer than 4 days, than some other BIB products, but others may have had a different experience.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nitrates using a reputable (i.e. not API) test kit? The cycle is not complete until the ammonia has been converted to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate.

In my experience, Dr Tim's bacteria in a bottle works slower, longer than 4 days, than some other BIB products, but others may have had a different experience.
Hi there and thank you for chiming in! I haven’t measured Nitrates yet as I thought it may be a bit early? The test kit I have is the Red Sea Marine Kit.

I’m not not in a great hurry even if Dr. Tim’s method is slow. My confusion lays in whether to dose ammonia at 2ppm, where I’m at now or wait it out per the article on the old Marine Depot site that says Ammonia and Nitrites are below 1, then dose 2ppm Of ammonia.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are getting instructions from other's, here's the instructions I used the last 2 times with perfect results:

They used to have another method that also worked well for me, but I was surprised how easy and how well the above method worked. I only tested after 1st dose then at the end, I didn't even bother testing in between.

Remember dosing is for actual water volume, not tank size, you must consider displacement caused by rocks, substrate, etc. Remember this when you have to be specific about dosing anything in the future.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are getting instructions from other's, here's the instructions I used the last 2 times with perfect results:

They used to have another method that also worked well for me, but I was surprised how easy and how well the above method worked. I only tested after 1st dose then at the end, I didn't even bother testing in between.

Remember dosing is for actual water volume, not tank size, you must consider displacement caused by rocks, substrate, etc. Remember this when you have to be specific about dosing anything in the future.
Hi there! Yep, I have the Biocube 32 gal, but dosed for 25 gal since 25.6 is what I actually added to the tank (accounting for rock and substrate).

My general fear is overdosing and possibly causing a stall. I have this page you reference actually printed out. But when I did more reading on this method is when I came across this:

When you tested for the first time, where you above or below 2ppm?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Yep, I have the Biocube 32 gal, but dosed for 25 gal since 25.6 is what I actually added to the tank (accounting for rock and substrate).

My general fear is overdosing and possibly causing a stall. I have this page you reference actually printed out. But when I did more reading on this method is when I came across this:

When you tested for the first time, where you above or below 2ppm?
That

I never had a problem getting 2ppm using 1 drop per gallon, our hobby test kits aren't always that accurate as well our testing procedures may not always be that precise. You just have to be around 2ppm, when people use food to cycle they have much less than 2ppm, and some people used to dose much higher. It's good you calculated the exact water volume, if you are using the ammonium chloride that says "1 drop per gallon", then I would just use 25 drops and forget it. I like this method better than the older method, when I used it I was cycled in a week to 9 days or so.

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using the ammonium chloride that says "1 drop per gallon", then I would just use 25 drops and forget it. I like this method better than the older method, when I used it I was cycled in a week to 9 days or so.
I have the “4 drops per gallon” bottle. Same difference?

a1abeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was cycling with my tank tonight and I use Dr. Tim’s one and only per the instructions for my refer XL 425 after rock it hold 95 gallons overdosed on the ammonia chloride. It’s a 2 ounce bottle and I should’ve only used a third supposed to count 4 drops per gallon good luck with that anyway I put 2/3 of a 2 ounce bottle of ammonia and when I should only put a third what should I do at this point starting out my first day really good. and I’m not sure what to do about the other two dosing I’m supposed to do on the third day in the sixth day. Or should I even worry about it. Thanks Jeff

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back