Dr Tim’s and instant cycling

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have ordered an 81L (20US gallon ) saltwater aquarium (my first ever saltwater aquarium) and want to use add Tim’s to instantly cycle it but after having three freshwater tanks in the past I know cycling tanks can take a while and I am a bit reluctant to trust that I can fill up my tank wait for ammonia reading , Dr Tim’s on sand only and then add fish right away has anyone had experience with it does it really work ? And is the one in the picture the right stuff ?

6BF48E4B-427E-4E44-8100-0EE14C70FFEA.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is good and can help you to cycle really quickly. It’s not like the old days. You just need an ammonia source to get the bacteria eating. I like to add a bit each day.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any nitrifying bacteria it speeds up the cycle but not instantly. Usually good in 10 days. Sometimes longer depending on rock you use.
I have done research and people poured it in and then put fish in the tank within 5 minutes of adding Dr Tim’s I’m glad you told me then thank you when will I know that my tank is cycled I’ve heard that if you put in some fish food and the ammonia levels are back at zero within 24 hour debit is cycled is that true ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is good and can help you to cycle really quickly. It’s not like the old days. You just need an ammonia source to get the bacteria eating. I like to add a bit each day.
Will fish food do as ammonia source ?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fish food do as ammonia source ?
In the old days, it was a piece of shrimp. With today’s bacteria, some say bacteria in and fish in day 1. I’ve done fish in day 2 with microbacter 7 but also had established live rock. I’d honestly ask anyone to play the patience game however.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling and nitrogen cycle discussions get pretty heated sometimes. It’s much easier than it sounds but I personally ask people to be patient. At the very least, test ammonia and nitrites to be sure. Some fish are much easier in the beginning. Also, look into quarantining fish. This is a way to make sure they’re healthy enough to go in. Saltwater fish come with lots of diseases and there are ways to save them and it’s much easier in a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days, it was a piece of shrimp. With today’s bacteria, some say bacteria in and fish in day 1. I’ve done fish in day 2 with microbacter 7 but also had established live rock. I’d honestly ask anyone to play the patience game however.
Ok I will wait for ammonia add Dr Tim’s wait until my levels are correct nitrite 0 ammonia 0 and there are a few nitrates then I will add my two clownfish as I worry they will be aggressive if I don’t add them at the same time should I use live rock or dry rock ? Live rock is very good but how likely is it that I will get some sort of horrible overtaking thing that will be hard to get rid of as a hitchhiker on the live rock

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling and nitrogen cycle discussions get pretty heated sometimes. It’s much easier than it sounds but I personally ask people to be patient. At the very least, test ammonia and nitrites to be sure. Some fish are much easier in the beginning. Also, look into quarantining fish. This is a way to make sure they’re healthy enough to go in. Saltwater fish come with lots of diseases and there are ways to save them and it’s much easier in a quarantine tank.
I have ordered a quarantine tank aswell so I will be good with that

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little reluctant to use pure ammonia would fish food work ok ?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will wait for ammonia add Dr Tim’s wait until my levels are correct nitrite 0 ammonia 0 and there are a few nitrates then I will add my two clownfish as I worry they will be aggressive if I don’t add them at the same time should I use live rock or dry rock ? Live rock is very good but how likely is it that I will get some sort of horrible overtaking thing that will be hard to get rid of as a hitchhiker on the live rock
Live vs dry is a big debate. And it comes down to your personal preference. The pro of live rock is bacteria, good hitchhikers, coralline, microorganisms, copepods... Cons are bad hitchhikers, nuisance algae and so forth. Dry rock insures nothing bad enters. It’s all down to personal preference.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. It will kickstart the process. Just be sure to test. I like to use the seachem ammonia alert badge. But test kits also work.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live vs dry is a big debate. And it comes down to your personal preference. The pro of live rock is bacteria, good hitchhikers, coralline, microorganisms, copepods... Cons are bad hitchhikers, nuisance algae and so forth. Dry rock insures nothing bad enters. It’s all down to personal preference.
What would you recommend from your personal experience

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend from your personal experience
I’ve always been a fan of live rock because I keep a mixed reef. But things like aiptaisa come in. And gorilla crabs that eat fish. They can be frustrating. Also there are many definitions of live rock. Some LFS sell dry rock that they have in large buckets with powerheads. I wouldn’t call it live. There’s the Florida live rock but I have no experience with it but have read it comes with lots and lots of critters. I prefer rock from the ocean and not someone’s tank. Some people sell their live rock - as they call it because it’s been in their tank for some time - but doesn’t really mean it’s quality. If you’re keeping only clowns, I don’t see why dry rock won’t work for you if you don’t plan to keep corals. The cycle is still easy IMO. Dry rock will get nice and brown in the beginning and it’s nothing to freak out over. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been a fan of live rock because I keep a mixed reef. But things like aiptaisa come in. And gorilla crabs that eat fish. They can be frustrating. Also there are many definitions of live rock. Some LFS sell dry rock that they have in large buckets with powerheads. I wouldn’t call it live. There’s the Florida live rock but I have no experience with it but have read it comes with lots and lots of critters. I prefer rock from the ocean and not someone’s tank. Some people sell their live rock - as they call it because it’s been in their tank for some time - but doesn’t really mean it’s quality. If you’re keeping only clowns, I don’t see why dry rock won’t work for you if you don’t plan to keep corals. The cycle is still easy IMO. Dry rock will get nice and brown in the beginning and it’s nothing to freak out over. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)
Great thank you they both seem to have there pros and cons I do plan on keeping corals in a couple months so I will go for live unless I can find dry a lot lot cheaper

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food would take a long time to start breaking down and turning into ammonia. It’s not the same as dosing pure ammonia. You can get ammonium chloride drops from Dr Tim’s. Fritz also sells ammonium chloride powder you can get from Amazon and elsewhere. I wouldn’t use fish food, personally, unless you want the cycle to take even longer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I consider it an aid and supplement to bacteria cultures and leery when a bottle says “instant”.
I quickly learned about the horror of instant when watching the show “Tanked” to hear what happened with a majority of these tanks weeks later.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the poster above. Nothing good comes fast in this hobby. Patience is key. I used Dr. Tim’s and pure ammonium chloride to cycle my dry rock tank, but I let my tank’s bacterial population build for over a month before ever introducing fish, and didn’t turn the lights on for almost another month. Slow and steady will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. This isn’t a hobby for the impatient.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims sells a fishless cycle kit if your not sure on dropping in a fish right away. I plan on dropping in a fish on day one as they are the ammonia source . Just gotta check your water daily. Of course everyone has their own opinions and im just spouting someone elses experience and advice though they are a professional. Look up some of the BRS vids and the starting series from Saltwater Aquarium.com on youtube.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%

Back