Dr Tims cube 20 initial start

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just want to start participating in R2R community so I decided to ask a question about Dr Tim's one and only process. I just finished cycling 10 gallon tank and so far so good. My question is, I started this new tank which is a cube 20 gallon and on the 4th day I got zero ammonia and 0.5 nitrite. I have the tank running at pH 8.6 and temperature is around 82 degrees. I'm running it high temp as suggested by Dr Tim's recommendation. The salinity is 1.023. I'll bump that up gradually.
Seems a little early but I did follow the directions with adding the bacteria day 1 and then dosing ammonia 4 ml on day one and day three. I'm going to see what day 5 and day 6 parameters come up with but what do you guys think? It Can't be cycled right? Add more ammonia? Each tank is different just like kids. Lol.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it can. Good your conservative and checking for a couple more days. Once I think it's 'cycled' I like to add 2 ppm ammonia and see if it can process it to 0 (or near) in 24 hours. Then I know it's ready for a few fish.

But if you're making nitrites - (btw I'm sure someone will tell you nitrites aren't toxic and you can just test nitrates) you're very close if not cycled.

Good luck with new tank.

OP
OP
J

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it can. Good your conservative and checking for a couple more days. Once I think it's 'cycled' I like to add 2 ppm ammonia and see if it can process it to 0 (or near) in 24 hours. Then I know it's ready for a few fish.

But if you're making nitrites - (btw I'm sure someone will tell you nitrites aren't toxic and you can just test nitrates) you're very close if not cycled.

Good luck with new tank

Good luck with new tank.
Pretty cool how things have advanced in 10 years. Getting back into it! Always been a great challenge, this hobby! "Patience, Danielson!". Lol. Thx for the reply!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just want to start participating in R2R community so I decided to ask a question about Dr Tim's one and only process. I just finished cycling 10 gallon tank and so far so good. My question is, I started this new tank which is a cube 20 gallon and on the 4th day I got zero ammonia and 0.5 nitrite. I have the tank running at pH 8.6 and temperature is around 82 degrees. I'm running it high temp as suggested by Dr Tim's recommendation. The salinity is 1.023. I'll bump that up gradually.
Seems a little early but I did follow the directions with adding the bacteria day 1 and then dosing ammonia 4 ml on day one and day three. I'm going to see what day 5 and day 6 parameters come up with but what do you guys think? It Can't be cycled right? Add more ammonia? Each tank is different just like kids. Lol.
Yeah it can definitely be cycled quick. What brand of bottled bac did you use, Dr. Tim's too?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both bateria amd ammonia is Dr Tims.
Cool cool. Yeah it's entirely possible then. Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria recently has a lot of posts reporting it does not work, but traditionally experiments have been done that point towards it being very effective, so you probs just got a good product. Next time you dose ammonia, just measure your parameters after about 30 minutes or so after dosing just to check that you can actually measure 2ppm ammonia or thereabouts, and then yeah if that decreases to 0, then no reason to doubt your cycle.

OP
OP
J

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool cool. Yeah it's entirely possible then. Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria recently has a lot of posts reporting it does not work, but traditionally experiments have been done that point towards it being very effective, so you probs just got a good product. Next time you dose ammonia, just measure your parameters after about 30 minutes or so after dosing just to check that you can actually measure 2ppm ammonia or thereabouts, and then yeah if that decreases to 0, then no reason to doubt your cycle.
thanks appreciate the support! I was amazed because my 10 gallon cycling wasn't as easy. You always walk through your steps to assure procedure and when it seems this easy your "doubt" clicker turns on. I'll post in 2 days the ammonia dose and readings. Kool!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks appreciate the support! I was amazed because my 10 gallon cycling wasn't as easy. You always walk through your steps to assure procedure and when it seems this easy your "doubt" clicker turns on. I'll post in 2 days the ammonia dose and readings. Kool!
Nah that's absolutely fair enough. Sometimes the hobby takes leaps and bounds, and it really just feels so foreign given that more often than not, practices remain for quite a while.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back