Dragon’s Breath growing on rocks?

Nanoreefboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to get some strange algae/bacteria growing on the tallest rock in my Nuvo 10g. It’s a deep red, just a thin layer, and some of the edges has fluorescent orange tips. A small inflorescent patch has been there for a few months, but
It is now spreading quite fast. Doesnt appear to be hurting my Acropora. I did have dragons breath algae before, so is there a chance that it spread on my rocks? It could also be some sort of nuisance algae. (Sorry for my browned out milli and monti, accidentally bottomed out nutrients.)
21331D3C-FD4C-4D5B-B8A4-298A110AED65.jpeg
0C5128BB-4B06-4176-A544-CF454F827D5D.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gelidium, Red Wiry Turf Algae
gelidium 300x214

Many species of short creeping red algae exist so the hobby generally lumps all of them under the heading "Gelidium", (the genus that is home to many of those species), and the common name Red Turf Algae, or Red Wiry Algae.

Manual Removal: Difficult. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along the rock are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can. Use a dental pick to remove it if possible. Fragments of the algae can spread though, so make sure to net any pieces that break loose. Yeah I know, it is boring as can be, but if you do it once surgically with a dental pick the problem goes away for good. If you can take the rock out, all the better.

Clean Up Crew: Emerald Crabs, urchins, sea hares, and large turbos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is turf and peroxide and toothbrush NOW before it is impossible to remove

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back