Dragon breath vs Cheato, which one is better?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only have dragon breath in my refugium. Should I add cheato to it to have both red and green macro algea? Will they compete with each other or supplement each other? If cheato is better at nutrient export, should I replace the dragon breath with it?

Or... not add cheato and just let the dragon breath grow because it is better than the green cheato.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the cheato. Look to ther non evasive green macros if you want some green

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the cheato. Look to ther non evasive green macros if you want some green
My main concern is really best nutrient export. I do not care much about esthetic since they are in the sump/refugium and not looked at.
Thanks.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re most worried about getting the best export dragons breath wouldn’t be the way to go. It’s a slower growing micro algae but really nice in DT. Some better options would be chaeto (what I use), chalupera (high risk of going sexual), even green sea lettuce. I’ve heard some people can grow ulva really well too.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that the dragon breath produced a red film on the wall of my refugium. Will this red film layer be seen on my live rocks and glass wall of my main display as well?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back