OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited! Tank got to the city today and I had to inspect it! And I was so surprised when MRC surprised me with my logo on my overflow!!!! Once it is delivered I’ll take a better picture for you all tomorrow!! I am so excited!
9446B233-D23A-4173-B129-172D537E3044.jpeg

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am rethinking my lighting set up, does anyone know how all these people surface mount their Orpheks?

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are up, but I am not happy with it, because of the taller stand they aren’t high enough and that as as high as the Orphek hanging kits will go, so since I am going to build a canopy, I am thinking of throwing in some t5’s or probably metal Halides, but we shall see

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! i hope i can make a good looking canopy! I hope to fill it up soon!

Based on the quality of the rest of the work so far, I have no doubts.

Have you thought about what you'll be filling with in terms of live stock and corals? Sorry if it's already posted and I missed it somewhere

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the quality of the rest of the work so far, I have no doubts.

Have you thought about what you'll be filling with in terms of live stock and corals? Sorry if it's already posted and I missed it somewhere
I am hoping for an sps dominated tank, with some slow flow areas for some lps, so in general a mixed tank with sticks on top and lps below,

I am a huge tang fan, so I will have a big tang gang, and I want a lot of Anthias, I love the school of them and how they bring so much life into the tank.
I am still torn on sand I have always had sand, but because I want to keep mostly sticks I am going to start with out sand and see how it goes. That is part of the reason why I went with a white bottom, to “make it appear like sand” I don’t know if I’ll pull that look off forever, but at least it will start that way.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the light canopy I got the holes cut out and routed for a clean look. Now I need to figure out how to mount this correctly on the ceiling lol. (After it’s finished of course!
7DBB8A2D-84E1-4204-AB99-BEE2EC3E1306.jpeg
BD35B5AD-17B4-43BF-B897-847AF8C2A514.jpeg
400CC5FF-20E9-496F-9438-0C7F6768CAAE.jpeg

i have some old Kessil 160’s that I had taken apart to retro fit inside my Giesman Infinity, so I’ll add them to this light mostly for shimmer and a moon light effect. Plus I didn’t want to throw them away, so I needed to find a use for them!

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the 250metal halids and these 160 kessils, from the height of where this canopy is going, on the ceiling, the kessils had a better spread. Oddly the orpheks were brighter than the 250mh so I was surprised by that.
So the kessils where better than the metal halide on spread of light at this height ~16 “ (For shimmer purposes) I would probably get better growth from Halides,(I still love halides, this is the first all led build for me) but I decided to go with the kessils to put them to use, and to stay all LED’s in this build.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Very clean setup so far.

Can you tell me more about these?

1605797271951.png

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new build! I must say I was very shocked as I read through your thread and saw that this was being setup in El Paso. Fellow El Pasoan here who is also a stickhead. Great to know locals here in town who are also into SPS. I will say that the local availability in our LFS for SPS is slim to none as you probably are very well aware of. Love your selection of equipment as I am in the planning phase of upgrading some of my equipment (sump and lights possibly). Let me know what you think of the Orpheks as I am actually looking at those in particular. Can't wait to see your tank filled.

OP
OP
Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean setup so far.

Can you tell me more about these?

1605797271951.png
@BZOFIQ These, "pop" the panel into place and hold the doors in very tightly, i was pleasantly surprised. These are the little details you come across when you are planning for a while! lol I ordered them directly from https://www.framingtech.com, they are not on their website, but as I was discussing my stand with Anthony there, he told me that's how they attach the doors. They were a little pricey, around 5-7 bucks a piece, but they work on the 15 series and 40mm stands is my understanding. If you message me individually i can give you Anthony's email, i just don't feel right posting it in the public forum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back