Dragon Soul Torch Color Fading

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all- over the past few weeks ive noticed the gold/yellow from my dragon soul torch fade. All my other corals are fine, euphyllia, softies, and even acros.

Any reason why this might be happening?

700EE66A-DC25-4714-91FD-30010BE2255B.jpeg
8574DF87-3C33-4EA6-8B6F-07804029CFC9.jpeg

P.S.- ignore the #1 and zoa, its the only pic i have of the torch recently

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 2-3 months
Do you know the nutrient and phosphate levels it came from and what’s yours currently. As well as the lighting it was under and what lighting it’s under now? Only reason I ask is I have noticed a correlation between the two from other tanks to mine. I have a rainbow torch that is now almost completely gold however my lighting and nutrients are completely different than where I purchased it. This is how some people will get a indo gold and turn it into a hellfire and vice versa

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the nutrient and phosphate levels it came from and what’s yours currently. As well as the lighting it was under and what lighting it’s under now? Only reason I ask is I have noticed a correlation between the two from other tanks to mine. I have a rainbow torch that is now almost completely gold however my lighting and nutrients are completely different than where I purchased it. This is how some people will get a indo gold and turn it into a hellfire and vice versa
It normally takes a few months for it to change in my experience

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am not too sure.

My levels

phosphate- 0.03
nitrate- 5ppm
alk- 8
Cal- 380-400

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in my experience but under a ReefLED160S and 10 ppm and 0.05 with alk at 9 dkh and Cal at 450 I tend to get vibrant colors. I’m not saying change anything but with me I’ve noticed I get better color at slightly higher phos and nitrate including for my Sps

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is in my experience but under a ReefLED160S and 10 ppm and 0.05 with alk at 9 dkh and Cal at 450 I tend to get vibrant colors. I’m not saying change anything but with me I’ve noticed I get better color at slightly higher phos and nitrate including for my Sps
I had a tank with .003 phos and 5 ppm and my torches were darker in color but once again no two tanks are the same
I am slowly trying to raise my levels because ive seen a slight decrease in growth with all my corals.

I am wanting to invest in a calcium reactor but im not too familiar with them yet.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Yeah some corals just look different in different tanks. Lighting and its spectrum has a lot to do with it.
The spectrum influences the algae and color within the coral.
Not sure how much light the coral is getting in terms of intensity, but that could play a huge role.
Some corals get better coloration under higher or even lower light (acans).

Also the amount of trace elements could impact coloration. I'm not saying you should start adding a bunch of additives, but there may just be a different concentration of elements.
Coloration can improve over time though for better and for worse.
It may just take some time.

You could maybe dose a SMALL amount of trace elements especially if they aid in the pigments you are looking for. Just don't overdo it, and dosing weekly may help.
Amino Acids also may help especially since your PO4 is pretty low.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back