Dragon Stone...?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into using dragon stone with dry rock in my 36 bowfront reef tank. Would that be ok? Will it leach anything or affect PH?
I used to use Dragon stone in my freshwater planted tanks. I am not sure if it will leach anything in saltwater, but it is pretty dense, non porous rock. I am not sure it would be the best anyways for biological filtration.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Dragon stone in my freshwater planted tanks. I am not sure if it will leach anything in saltwater, but it is pretty dense, non porous rock. I am not sure it would be the best anyways for biological filtration.
I already have biological filtration in my base rock and ceramic rings in filter so i'm not too worried about that. More worried about leaching.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use it, I would let it cycle for several months and then do an ICP analysis to see if you have any elevated heavy metals.

Regular live or dry rock is calcium carbonate, which is why it’s used extensively rather than actually stone which usually has metallic minerals in it.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use it, I would let it cycle for several months and then do an ICP analysis to see if you have any elevated heavy metals.

Regular live or dry rock is calcium carbonate, which is why it’s used extensively rather than actually stone which usually has metallic minerals in it.
ok thanks what is an ICP test

Akaswan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it will raise your PH (at least it raises PH in a freshwater tank) and could leach other metals as previously mentioned.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks what is an ICP test

It tests individual elements in your tank water. So you send in a sample of water, and they will give you a breakdown of all the elements, including any warnings about elements that shouldn't be there. Examples of heavy metals that will be reported include arsenic, copper, tin, aluminum, lead etc.

I use Triton brand myself, but there are a handful of other companies like ATI, etc.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It tests individual elements in your tank water. So you send in a sample of water, and they will give you a breakdown of all the elements, including any warnings about elements that shouldn't be there. Examples of heavy metals that will be reported include arsenic, copper, tin, aluminum, lead etc.

I use Triton brand myself, but there are a handful of other companies like ATI, etc.

thank you!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back