Dragons fart algae

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some dragons breath algae in the mail. The water was beat red. Has anyone had this happen? Will it recover? After rinsing and putting it in the tank I took some pictures. I love the way it looks with the red/orange with green tips, but is this just a stressed state?

Also. is this dragon's breath or dragons tongue?

20210731_182738.jpg 20210731_183232.jpg 20210731_222251.jpg 20210731_222353.jpg

Last edited:

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those orange parts are dead, trim it off and maybe the rest will grow out.
Is it dead or has it lost color. I’ve noticed in this red algae I have is the orange spots are often near where the alga attaches to a rock edging translucent areas that are new growth

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it smell?
It smells like any macro does when you open the bag. Like a musty beach. I didn't realize the orange was dead tissue because dragons breath is supposed to fluoresce even when not dying, but I see now its mostly done for. I think when dragons breath is heathy, the tips are only orange under actinics. I could be wrong though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, was a joke from the title of this thread. Not sure about the colored water, but when I ordered dragons breath previously I dont recall red water. Dragons breath is more leafy too, that might be tongue.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, was a joke from the title of this thread. Not sure about the colored water, but when I ordered dragons breath previously I dont recall red water. Dragons breath is more leafy too, that might be tongue.

Yea. I know dragons breath and tongue are the same species, but different forms. Its hard to tell when it's small though. I'd like to get both in culture. Hopefully the seller will send me some replacement if this doesn't make it. A lot of sellers try to pass gracilaria as dragons breath, which is a different species all together.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back