Drain Hose

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Quick one

I would like to ask can i use any PVC drain hose for my tanks drain to sump?

Thanks

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Usually a hose like you mentioned is fine. As long as it is not needed for flow control as part of a herbie set up its fine. You should not need anything pressurge rated for the drain. Just safe to use. I use spa or vacuum hosing. There is also Eshopps.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Usually a hose like you mentioned is fine. As long as it is not needed for flow control as part of a herbie set up its fine. You should not need anything pressurge rated for the drain. Just safe to use. I use spa or vacuum hosing. There is also Eshopps.

Hi, any reason I can't use this with a bean animal and glue a gate valve near the sump?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any reason I can't use this with a bean animal and glue a gate valve near the sump?

Hi,

You can put a valve in-line in a hose. You would want to use slip to barb fittings for the gate. You would want to be sure to support/secure the gate valve since it will be heavier than the line. Also since the line is flexible it would twist when you turn the valve. There are different valves available for hose depending on what you are using also.

There are a bunch of ways you can set up.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

You can put a valve in-line in a hose. You would want to use slip to barb fittings for the gate. You would want to be sure to support/secure the gate valve since it will be heavier than the line. Also since the line is flexible it would twist when you turn the valve. There are different valves available for hose depending on what you are using also.

There are a bunch of ways you can set up.
Thanks. Do I need a barb fitting? Couldn't I glue 1" PVC into the gray end piece?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do I need a barb fitting? Couldn't I glue 1" PVC into the gray end piece?
I need a bit more info. What hose are you using and what sump is it going into. Maybe a pic if you can. Not sure what you mean by gray piece. If you are using vacuum hose, it will not work.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hose. I can glue the white PVC into the end, the other half of the PVC gets glued into the gate valve and then the other side of the gate valve gets PVC which then goes into a bulk head in the sump.
Screenshot_20201210-192744_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201210-161924_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201210-161924_Chrome.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 68

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valves are fine, you will not be able to use vacuum hose for you siphon line. It is not meant for that, it may collapse like an accordion. Is there a reason you cannot use vinyl hose or pvc?

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valves are fine, you will not be able to use vacuum hose for you siphon line. It is not meant for that, it may collapse like an accordion. Is there a reason you cannot use vinyl hose or pvc?
Oh I didn't realize that. I don't want to hard plumb the whole thing. I guess I will use 1" vinyl. I don't want to use vinyl because I thought the barbed fittings would reduce the flow too much.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 1” hose you are fine. If the tank is less than 100, I would say 3/4 is ok. 1” vinyl hose to a barbed slip fitting into that gate would be fine. Only thing I hate is that size hose looses a lot of flexibility so plan bends ahead of time

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya...its black vinyl so its more flexible than the braided stuff but I will definitely heat it up before installing...thanks!

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, why can't I use these Eshopps hose for my siphon line? I can glue the gate valve right onto the bulkhead under the tank and then run this hose from the gate valve directly to the sump

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm referring to. Using the vacuum hose below the gate valve

Attachments

• 20201214_212940.jpg
    20201214_212940.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 70

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back