Draining issue

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my aquarium isn’t draining very efficiently, only a small trickle into the sump and my return pump keeps starving. If I add more water the water level in the aquarium rises to the point where it nearly overflows. I can get the balance just right, any ideas or tips thank you in advance

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are worth a thousand words ;)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 70720492846__90776583-8CD2-4E22-8229-4761CBDC761C.MOV
    509.1 KB
OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in picture 1 you can almost see the water draining into the pipe in it aquarium, picture 2 is obviously the return pump, it’s not usually that high I’ve just put some more water in it, there’s usually about a 1/4 less in there, and the video is the flow into the sump

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your emergency overflow pipe and is there a main pipe submerged?

Also what type of valve do you have and have you tried opening it more to let more water flow through?

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your emergency overflow pipe and is there a main pipe submerged?

Also what type of valve do you have and have you tried opening it more to let more water flow through?
No there’s only one? Should there be another? And there’s no valve either.(set up bought used 2weeks ago

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the stand pipe installed when you bought it or have you reassembled it post transporting?
If I understand your description correctly, the water level in the tank is pretty much level with the top of the pipe?

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the stand pipe installed when you bought it or have you reassembled it post transporting?
If I understand your description correctly, the water level in the tank is pretty much level with the top of the pipe?
The person I bought it off came and set it up, the pipe was already installed, and yes it’s draining correctly just very slowly

polywise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty large looking pipe

look down into the overflow pipe.. Is there something stuck in there?
is there a ball valve connected to the drain pipe & its not fully open, or is clogged with debris
Where does the pipe end up in your sump?

If the tank is slow to drain (not the pipe)
check to see if the overflow slots are not clogged- clean them with a toothbrush.

Jim C.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like you built that yourself and you may have built it wrong.

It appears that the drain pipe is at nearly the same level as the slots in the overflow box. It's not supposed to be that way. The top of the drain pipe should be no more than a few inches above the very bottom of the box and it should have a strainer of some type on it.

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like you built that yourself and you may have built it wrong.

It appears that the drain pipe is at nearly the same level as the slots in the overflow box. It's not supposed to be that way. The top of the drain pipe should be no more than a few inches above the very bottom of the box and it should have a strainer of some type on it.
Think the previous owner did, It came that way to me, I was thinking the same but didn’t want to go cutting pipes down without knowing, if I cut say 2inch off will it help?

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I cut say 2inch off will it help
Yes. Definitely.

As it is, the water level has to be higher than the drain pipe to drain. (Simple physics) Since the drain pipe is at the level of the skimmer box, that means the tank has to be overly full before any water will drain from it.

OP
OP
C

Chris1998m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Definitely.

As it is, the water level has to be higher than the drain pipe to drain. (Simple physics) Since the drain pipe is at the level of the skimmer box, that means the tank has to be overly full before any water will drain from it.
Nice one, these were my thoughts too, only thing is how do I get to that pipe to cut it down?

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one, these were my thoughts too, only thing is how do I get to that pipe to cut it down?
Very simple: get an inside pipe cutter for your drill. It takes about 5 seconds.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The farther down you cut it, the more splash from the overflow making it noisy.
There is a sweet spot, 1/2" to an inch below the weir. Clears the tank of the film and quiet. All the flow you need.

Did they seriously glue it in the bulkhead?
Doesn't need to be.
Did you try and pull it out?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back