Draining tank to catch fish causee havoc on my sps!!

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the acros we keep are exposed to air at low tide in the wild. Even 2 hours exposed should not have been a problem.

It's possible that there was a sudden swing in temperature (is your tank 80 but your air temp 70?) or light as others suggested that stressed them.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the acros we keep are exposed to air at low tide in the wild. Even 2 hours exposed should not have been a problem.

It's possible that there was a sudden swing in temperature (is your tank 80 but your air temp 70?) or light as others suggested that stressed them.
This is possible, i guess i made a big mistake in draining the tank to catch the fish but there really was no other choice. Im not looking forward to coming home today to dead acros as that would be the nail in the coffin for the tank. I got very expensive acros and would be tragic to lose so much.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im still not able to catch the last 2 fish, do you think its ok to drain the tank again do soon? And just lower the light intensity to not stress out too much? I cant start fallos period without taking them out.

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have had to catch fish, I don't drain the tank, I pull every single rock out, corals and all, and put them on a towel on the floor. Then, once all rocks are removed from the tank, I net out the fish and replace the rocks.

This sounds scary, but it takes me about 2 hours on a 125 with a lot of coral and rocks and I have never lost corals with this approach. I think it's more stress to the fish than the corals, to be honest.

Fortunately, I have not needed to do this in the last few years -- I'm more careful with my fish selection and religious about quarantine.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have had to catch fish, I don't drain the tank, I pull every single rock out, corals and all, and put them on a towel on the floor. Then, once all rocks are removed from the tank, I net out the fish and replace the rocks.

This sounds scary, but it takes me about 2 hours on a 125 with a lot of coral and rocks and I have never lost corals with this approach. I think it's more stress to the fish than the corals, to be honest.

Fortunately, I have not needed to do this in the last few years -- I'm more careful with my fish selection and religious about quarantine.
That would chaotic since alot of my acros are well encrusted on the rocks and have a center brace on my tank. I regret buying more corals now smh, my only option is to either keep trying with the trap, drain tank again or simply let the fish starve which i really dont want to do.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already been mentioned about the lights, I agree as well. If I have to expose any of my corals to air I cut the lights. They are very intense that way.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's too late, but... I would highly recommend this for catching fish:
I was able to use it to catch all 8 of the fish in my tank over a 24 hr period. It really works well and with a little patience, you can catch even the most shy fish. Never had to use a net or do any harm to my coral...
Put it in the tank in a good spot overnight without any bait or anything to let the fish get used to it being there. Then the next day, baited with nori and flake. I was able to catch 2 at a time on several occasions.
Definitely worth the $$!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to go through so much trouble for ich... All fish have ich and going fallow doesn’t rid fish of inch no matter what the vocal majority here say. Inch is not a death sentence and there’s a reason why it is affecting your fish. Since they are exhibiting symptoms due to a stress.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a ton of success with fish traps. Patience is key though

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to set up my Waterbox 7225 so my plan has not been tested yet, but here goes:
I bought real reef shelf rock and did a practice run setting it up on a table.
I plan to have 3 reef sections with 2 subtle passage ways that extend across the tank. I bought egg crate light shields and I plan to cut them to fit into these passage ways. My goal is to be able to trap fish into 1/3 of my tank. This way only 1/3 of my reef need to be shifting to catch whatever fish needs to be caught. And, I can shift rocks / coral into the other 2 thirds to keep them under water. I will report back if this actually works.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are left to catch?

For wrasse I like to use half shell clams and place them at the back of the trap. It slows them down to tear at it.

If they have any aggression in them at all, tangs wrasse ect, I'll borrow my wifes small makeup mirror and tape that on the outside of the glass reflecting in. Once it has their attention and they are going to war with themselves I'll move it close to the trap until finally its reflecting into the trap. Eventually they'll get ticked enough to go in to get at the reflection.

For very small fish that are shy and stay on rock work the water bottle trap works well. Weight it with a rock, some food and tie a fishing line to the entrance. Once in pull it up. You can set these closest to their hangouts.

I feel it's too stressful on the coral to break down the tank, thats an extreme last resort for me.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are left to catch?

For wrasse I like to use half shell clams and place them at the back of the trap. It slows them down to tear at it.

If they have any aggression in them at all, tangs wrasse ect, I'll borrow my wifes small makeup mirror and tape that on the outside of the glass reflecting in. Once it has their attention and they are going to war with themselves I'll move it close to the trap until finally its reflecting into the trap. Eventually they'll get ticked enough to go in to get at the reflection.

For very small fish that are shy and stay on rock work the water bottle trap works well. Weight it with a rock, some food and tie a fishing line to the entrance. Once in pull it up. You can set these closest to their hangouts.

I feel it's too stressful on the coral to break down the tank, thats an extreme last resort for me.
I was finally able to catch the royal gramma last night the only one giving me a hard time is a flame hawk that stays on the bottom part of the rockwork. Been 5 days i dont feed it hopefully hunger forces him to get in the trap soon.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to go through so much trouble for ich... All fish have ich and going fallow doesn’t rid fish of inch no matter what the vocal majority here say. Inch is not a death sentence and there’s a reason why it is affecting your fish. Since they are exhibiting symptoms due to a stress.
Idk i havent had issues for like 6 months since my last fallow period and nothing changed, about 5 days after adding new corals without QT my tang started scratching and getting white spots. He also seemed to be irritated in the gills since he twitches alot.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to catch the royal gramma last night the only one giving me a hard time is a flame hawk that stays on the bottom part of the rockwork. Been 5 days i dont feed it hopefully hunger forces him to get in the trap soon.
Be patient and leave the trap in the tank overnight... I woke up and found my hawkfish perching in the trap. Even stayed there as I got the door and dropped it.
I wouldn't be surprised if you leave it overnight that he doesn't just perch in it...

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient and leave the trap in the tank overnight... I woke up and found my hawkfish perching in the trap. Even stayed there as I got the door and dropped it.
I wouldn't be surprised if you leave it overnight that he doesn't just perch in it...
Yea been having it in the tank since i caught the royal gramma lol atleast the snails are having a field day eating the food inside the trap.

Attachments

• 20210515_204527.jpg
    20210515_204527.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 17

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back