Dreaded Aiptasia or something else?

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new Zoa frag about 3 weeks ago and did my usual dipping protocol (CoralRX Pro freshwater, NTLabs Coral Dip and then saltwater acclimation), but this morning during my usual tank inspection/morning view, I noticed this on it... is it Aiptasia?

IMG_20210928_084908.jpg IMG_20210928_084852.jpg

OP
OP
ShadowMan

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation, just as I feared.... :(

What are the chances it's spread or will pulling the frag be enough?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I'd take a razor and gently scrape it off the frag base and all. Afterwards, rinse the frag well in a cup of tank water before putting it back in the tank. You want to at least try to get rid of it if it's not already in your tank. Besides, if you leave that one there it will sting those zoas as it grows and spread through the tank.

OP
OP
ShadowMan

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well fingers crossed I caught it in time. Thankfully the frag in question was on its own island, so I pulled the entire rock and got to work removing the little blighter and then cleaning and scrubbing it all Zoa's were not happy with the deep clean but hopefully as it was done in isolation of the rest of the tank, I haven't created a worse situation.... I guess only time will tell! ;)

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have one I need to deal with. Aptasia X should be here tomorrow.
Drink Me Wine GIF

Nemmy want some numnums?

OP
OP
ShadowMan

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opted for the straight 3% Hydrogen Peroxide bath, scrub, RODI rinse, saltwater rinse, scrub.... rinse and repeat (x3), all in an isolation tank, then a good long stint in QT to ensure no further cross contamination or spread. Looking promising so far and the little Zoa is finally looking a lot happier now ;)
IMG_20211001_094942.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back