Dream Build! in Michigan! 1500 gallon

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! It’s been some time (almost 26 years) since Ive had a tank. Work, Family etc.. you all know what I mean. I’m about to take the plunge into the deep end.. I'm now in my forever home and my dream of building an amazing reef aquarium is about to be realized. I have a very understanding wife ( for now) and has been very supportive of my dream. I have been on R2R site for quite a while. However I just joined “officially” , look forward to meeting others. I live in Novi Michigan and have been lucky to meet some knowledgeable folks along the way. ( shout out to Bill and Lee and Steve(s) ) Technology has come a very long way ; I have quit a bit to learn. Im a techie so this is gonna be so much fun and potentially dangerous. More to come on this...

I hope to document this Build in a s much detail as I can. Along with my deliberations. Looking forward to everyone's insight. ( please be kind)

The first stumbling block was/is the size of display tank. I want to go as large as possible (Go big or go Home :cool: ) after all I’m only gonna do this once. This is going to be a BIG purchase which sets the tone for everything else to follow.

I‘ve pretty much decided on 120”L x 60” W x 48” high. ( so @ 1500 gallons). I read a lot about the depth and lighting, but that can be overcome. I‘ve attached a couple of renderings I've done in Google Sketch-Up. I‘m in the process of finishing my basement, so the Tank needs to go in before I go any farther. I want the Fish/life support room to be thoughtfully slayed out.

Looking for advice on "what I wish I would have thought of when designing my setup"

Lastly not sure if there are any local groups.reefers.. please introduce yourself!

Floor Plan.jpg
Fish Room.jpg
Plan Rendering.jpg
MEDIA AREA w:Screen.png
MEDIA AREA.jpg
IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoviReefGuy

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member? Check
Break a 26 year absence with a 1500 gallon reef? Check

You're our kind of people! Welcome to our salty family!

Thanks! I've been dreaming/Planning/ drooling for a bit. the tank has kinda grown; most of the advice Ive gotten has been to go as big as I can...so hey!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! this is epic.
not much to add but welcome to R2R

looks like you have the fish room plumbing all figured out that is a huge plus there.
the fish room looks huge lots of project tanks and be there and the wifey will not even know :p

OP
OP
NoviReefGuy

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to have the tank in this fall.. will be prepping the fish room for humidity. Concrete floor so far. But need to figure out what to put down on that. Going to cover the walls with either FRP or some type mildew/moisture resistant paint. Ceiling is also a question, as its exposed wood.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I’m from over by AA. Maybe look into the luxury vinyl plank for the fish room? Does really well in basements.

I second luxury vinyl plank. Tough as nails and is water proof. I did our house in it. Kitchen, bathrooms.....etc.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to have the tank in this fall.. will be prepping the fish room for humidity. Concrete floor so far. But need to figure out what to put down on that. Going to cover the walls with either FRP or some type mildew/moisture resistant paint. Ceiling is also a question, as its exposed wood.

I was/am wondering the same I am doing the hose house in LVP but in my basement fish room I was thinking LVP, cheap tile or seal the concrete with something its an old house and will needs lots of self leveling cement. I will price it out and prob. go with a cheap but durable option. for the walls i was thinking FRP or just paint it I like the look of the old plank wood they used to pour the foundation so kinda dont want to cover that but might want some insulation in there too.

Rfields987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! It’s been some time (almost 26 years) since Ive had a tank. Work, Family etc.. you all know what I mean. I’m about to take the plunge into the deep end.. I'm now in my forever home and my dream of building an amazing reef aquarium is about to be realized. I have a very understanding wife ( for now) and has been very supportive of my dream. I have been on R2R site for quite a while. However I just joined “officially” , look forward to meeting others. I live in Novi Michigan and have been lucky to meet some knowledgeable folks along the way. ( shout out to Bill and Lee and Steve(s) ) Technology has come a very long way ; I have quit a bit to learn. Im a techie so this is gonna be so much fun and potentially dangerous. More to come on this...

I hope to document this Build in a s much detail as I can. Along with my deliberations. Looking forward to everyone's insight. ( please be kind)

The first stumbling block was/is the size of display tank. I want to go as large as possible (Go big or go Home :cool: ) after all I’m only gonna do this once. This is going to be a BIG purchase which sets the tone for everything else to follow.

I‘ve pretty much decided on 120”L x 60” W x 48” high. ( so @ 1500 gallons). I read a lot about the depth and lighting, but that can be overcome. I‘ve attached a couple of renderings I've done in Google Sketch-Up. I‘m in the process of finishing my basement, so the Tank needs to go in before I go any farther. I want the Fish/life support room to be thoughtfully slayed out.

Looking for advice on "what I wish I would have thought of when designing my setup"

Lastly not sure if there are any local groups.reefers.. please introduce yourself!

Floor Plan.jpg
Fish Room.jpg
Plan Rendering.jpg
MEDIA AREA w:Screen.png
MEDIA AREA.jpg
IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg
Hey, I’m in Milford and just building a 200 now. Fish Room is below the display tank in the basement, FRP walls. Everything will be Apex run with auto water changes. The equipment you will use most likely won’t have the same problem but I have considerable frustration getting cords to extend to my control closet. I attempted to purchase the Abyzz A200IPU but it doesn’t have the Apex interface ability like the Abyss A200 (discovered after delivery) so now going with Royal Exclusiv. 4 MP60s, Reef Octopus Regal 200INT, Aqualogic heater (you may also consider Aqualogic). BRS is awesome but so are others. Thinking of the two UV Sterilizer approach. I’m putting flow meters on everything. Good luck with your build Look forward to watching. Send me a PM if you need anything.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build, and take your time with the planning as it will make all the difference when the system is up and running. I found the planning stage very enjoyable as you imagine how it will all work

Automatic water changes make a huge difference to the hobby along with anything else you can automate.

Ive just set up a big tank, and also have my original system which wasn’t exactly small, and apart from monitoring and changing media, I have nothing to do. Well apart from enjoy it!

And Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
NoviReefGuy

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, Its been quite to 2020.. Hope everyone is healthy; I had a little run in with the pesky Covid Bug, but fortunately have recovered. Little update ...lots of planning ( and spending :confused:) but I think things are coming together.. Lots of things under construction; been working on the fish room infrastructure for the past few months while tank and stand are under construction. The 1.75" Acrylic had taken longer to get..However IM hoping the tank and stand will delivering some time in January ( weather dependent of course). Added a few quarantine tanks and Frag tank as well.. they will arrive later.

Ordering @ 1100 lbs of Marco Rock ( XL Shelf , Pedestal , Foundation and Reef Saver.. going to work on the aquascape design over the winter so when the tank finally gets here, I will be able to get it into the tank . We are going to rent a Gantry/ hoist to move are the tank into place ; I was hoping use it to place some of the heavy pieces as well. Top of the tank will be @ 6ft from the floor, so placement is going to be a challenge. dropping one would be disasterous to say the least.

Setting up an area in the basement to mock up the aquascape with my wife & daughters. Should be a really fun project. Using some PVC pipes to simulate the tank Boundries. I'll post some of those when we get started. will also help us confirm the spots for closed loops, etc.

Still debating lighting... LED ( Orphek Atlantik ) or ?? Old school non- LED route... or maybe hybrid.. Depends on aquascape ( shadows) . will wait .. plenty of time to decide on this.

Many more decision.... slow and steady... I have to publicly thank my wife for letting me do this. It truely has been a life- long dream becoming reality... hopefully more updates soon.

Merry Christmas!

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Sean I am from Novi (Station #6) looks like a real nice build you have going on.

Back