Drilling a Planet Aquarium tank

PeSam22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone that has had a Planet Aquarium tank drilled. I purchased a Planet Aquarium Crystaline Show Aquarium 48 X 20 X 21 second hand from a local guy and wanted it drilled. Was told it has a tempered back but not the bottom and trying to verify this. If anyone have any info or where I could get the info I'd appreciate the help. I really would like to use a sump on the system rather than a canister filter.

rickychaides96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone that has had a Planet Aquarium tank drilled. I purchased a Planet Aquarium Crystaline Show Aquarium 48 X 20 X 21 second hand from a local guy and wanted it drilled. Was told it has a tempered back but not the bottom and trying to verify this. If anyone have any info or where I could get the info I'd appreciate the help. I really would like to use a sump on the system rather than a canister filter.
Did you ever find out if it’s drill safe? I’m looking at getting one that’s not drilled myself and want to run a sump as well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever find out if it’s drill safe? I’m looking at getting one that’s not drilled myself and want to run a sump as well.
It's a good idea to reach out to the manufacturer, but regardless of what the manufacturer tells you I would strongly recommend that you do the polarized lens test on the panel that you intend to drill. I don't mean to come across too strongly, but I have drilled many tanks and it only took one time for a tempered pane of glass to explode to prompt me to always test.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea to reach out to the manufacturer, but regardless of what the manufacturer tells you I would strongly recommend that you do the polarized lens test on the panel that you intend to drill. I don't mean to come across too strongly, but I have drilled many tanks and it only took one time for a tempered pane of glass to explode to prompt me to always test.
I will second this recommendation to test it for yourself. I thought I was being clever relying on Deep Blue's website where it said only the BOTTOM is tempered. I discovered (too late) that in fact the back panel was also tempered. Nothing quite like the sound of a tempered glass panel going POOF!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back