Drilling acrylic when full of water

Simple reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to drill acrylic when full. I have a seaclear acrylic tank with large eurobrace want to put hole on top about 3/4@. To thread gyre pump cord through.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof. With glass absolutely not. With acrylic I would still be pretty hesitant. @Floyd R Turbo is a resident acrylic expert. Let’s see what he thinks.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see a problem

Drain the tank half way, drill, refill with same water you took out

Keep drill bit cool with a spray bottle

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to drill acrylic when full. I have a seaclear acrylic tank with large eurobrace want to put hole on top about 3/4@. To thread gyre pump cord through.
Yes you can drill a acrylic tank on the top without issues. I have drilled acrylic when the tank was full. It will make a huge mess with acrylic shavings and you will want to be sure not to get it in the tank. Take your time drilling it so you don't melt the acrylic is I all I would say.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can drill the top without issue. If going in the side just drain the water below the level of the hole so not to make a mess. Either way you can do it. I take some of that blue filter pad stuff and have someone hold it under where you are going to drill to try and catch as much as the acrylic shavings as possible. The rest will either settle in the sand or get caught in the filter sock if you are running one

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back