Drilling acrylic

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a hole saw, not a drill bit! I made some frag racks awhile ago and messed up the first ones with a drill bit. Caused it to split. My diamond hole saw worked like a champ though. You could use a step bit, or work your way up in size individually, but a hole saw will be one and done.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched a video on that earlier guy using a hole saw, worked out pretty good, but he also did a center pilot hole and used some dish soap to lubricate it a bit. Really don’t want to screw this up.lol

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched a video on that earlier guy using a hole saw, worked out pretty good, but he also did a center pilot hole and used some dish soap to lubricate it a bit. Really don’t want to screw this up.lol
You can lube it if you want. I used a hand drill, came in at an angle like glass, and straightened out. Make sure that the whole panel is supported though, otherwise you’ll likely split it when you penetrate under pressure

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to drill/cut a hole in the side of my sump for the reeflo. Any suggestions so I don’t scerew it up?
Thanks

Any hole saw will do but if you want the best (least chance to mess it up) get a diamond coated hole saw and also apply water via a hose to help with cooling that bit.

I tape the underneath side to prevent the cut Acrylic from scratching the tank once it falls. Lastly go slow and try to keep the hole saw balanced and don’t push at all, let the teeth do the cutting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back