Drilling an Return Line Hole in My 22 gallon Nano

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around my return hole. I have a 3/4" bulkhead for my overflow which I've already drilled. I was surprised at the template for the Fiji Cube Overflow that I purchased when it came to the actual hole diameter that I drilled with the included bit and template. I realized that the 3/4" bulkhead referenced was really referring to the outlet pipe coming out of the overflow box. Now I'm planning on having a 1/2" return from my sump. So I've been searching parts to use for my return bulkhead. Can anyone tell me the parts that I need to use at my tank interface? Would this work - Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Double Threaded Bulkhead? And here's a stupid question, what hole diameter would I drill? Any guidance would be appreciated.

1609085468306.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nargard

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use anything smaller than 3/4".

I like slip x slip fittings, but it's a personal choice. Something like this : https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/plumbing/bulkhead-abs-slip-x-slip.html

That site tells you how big of a hole to drill for each sized bulkhead. 3/4" of that brand requires a 35mm hole.
Thanks nereefpat. I was under the impression that you go smaller than your overflow diameter for your return. No? I'm going to be running a 568 gph return pump on a 22 gallon tank with a 12 gallon sump.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that you go smaller than your overflow diameter for your return. No? I'm going to be running a 568 gph return pump on a 22 gallon tank with a 12 gallon sump.

You can, but you don't have to. The bigger the pipe, the less head loss. It is a small tank, so you can go 1/2" if you want, especially if the output of the pump is 1/2" and it makes it easier. I would still go 3/4.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back