Drilling Dry Rock for Plugs

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please let me know what size bit to use to drill plug holes in my Marco Rock. I am setting up an IM20 and putting the Marco Rock together for my scape. Once done I want to drill several shallow holes for adding coral later. What size bit should I use to drill the holes and about how deep? Or does everyone cut the plug off?

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If and when possible , i try to remove the frag off the plug. I was never a big fan of frag plugs.

Thank you for your service

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only bought a handful of corals at this point, but i've noticed the plug "stem" can vary based on the size stem a little bit. My thought is many reefers build DIY frag racks from egg crate with 1/2" x 1/2" squares, so if you drilled 1/2" diameter holes it should work. If you get a smaller plug a little glue to fill the gap inside would solve the problem.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works well. Size depending on what type of plugs you have. Usually the holes need to be 9-10mm, but sometimes larger. Just drill and test.

OP
OP
BGrand

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If and when possible , i try to remove the frag off the plug. I was never a big fan of frag plugs.

Thank you for your service
Thanks for your service as well.

On the last tank I just removed the plugs and glued the plate part down. Still not sure about removing frag off plug. Afraid my big bear paws will kill the frag.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly often they range from 3/8" to 7/16". Use a masonry bit if you can get them as a standard bit will just wear down very quickly. Alternatively you can use bone cutters or tin snips and cut off the stem and glue.

I typically drill about 5 holes with varying flow/lighting and drill those then cut them off the plug and glue in a place with similar flow/lighting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back