Drilling glass

coralfrenzy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to drill glass or have any ideas on how hard it is? im looking to replace a bottom panel on a tank and it needs drilled for return and drain plumbing. i can handle replacing the glass myself because i have a glass guy that cuts for me pretty cheap but he is only equipped to drill or cut up to 1/4 inch and this will be 3/8

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my first tank recently and it was easier than expected. I used a old fence board with a hole drilled in it, as a guide and clamped it to my glass and drilled slow. Use lots of water and take your time. Dustin

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really not that difficult to do. It is stressful the first time ! Does your glass guy have a drill press?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has everything you need, including a video https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diamond-coated-glass-drill-bits.html. I suggest going slow. I started to push to hard and didn't come away with a clean hole. Part of the inside cracked away. Thankfully a very small part. But I'm certain it was from pushing too hard. Nothing an extra gasket couldn't handle.

OP
OP
coralfrenzy88

coralfrenzy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my glass guy just told me that he can only do up to 1/4 inch he quoted me a piece of glass 48x18x3/8 with the holes drilled at 160 because he would have to order instead of being able to do it himself. normally he cuts me realy good deals on glass he made me some glass tops once upon a time at 24x18 at 20 each

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can inspire some more confidence. I also drilled my own holes for my shadow overflow box and returns. The BRS video was on point.

Drilling can be done with any type of drill. I used my cordless drill. I used my hose to mist water onto the cutting surface. I placed a piece of tape on the inside of the cut to catch the cutout. I tried to go slow but on every hole I had some chipping. Wasn't a big deal after I installed the gaskets. All in all each hole took 5 minutes or less. Remember let the bit do the cutting no need to press hard at all. You can get diamond bits all day at Home Depot or Lowes for around $20 depending on the size.

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a free piece of scrap glass from glass shop / kijiji and practice on that before drilling the bottom panel.

OP
OP
coralfrenzy88

coralfrenzy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys I figured I could do it but it's just crazy scary lol. I will look into the price on just the glass panel. I have resealed before so it isn't much different the drilling part scared me.but I have a scrap 10 gallon to practice on and I'm sure I can get the bit like everyone said.

TheCoralGarage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that hard, there are plenty of good videos on YouTube which is how I learned, just make sure it's not tempered glass.

OP
OP
coralfrenzy88

coralfrenzy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why replacing the bottom?

If it’s that leaking 90g I would repair the seam vs new glass

Turns out the leak was a crack where the bottom center brace is from front to back so I will be replacing the bottom glass at some point and drilling it for the rr plumbing

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back