Drilling more holes in acrylic to solve assumed plumbing issues

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm purchasing a 75g acrylic aquarium. There's a drain in the "middle back" of the tank and then a return in the upper right hand corner. I'm not to sure about the way it's plumbed either?! I know theres a litttle giant return pump but theres also a canister filter as well. I was thinking four holes along the top in the back of it for drain and return lines or maybe through the top? The tank isn't open on top like my 120, so I know there's some issues to contend with and i dont wanna make them worse. Mostly cleaning access is what I've figured out so far. Am I thinking about this in the right way? Drains, returns etc aside, I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

received_4600408993393026.jpeg received_1103991680462521.jpeg received_549120096787321.jpeg Screenshot_20220525-165551_Facebook.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show photos of the existing tank plumbing in the middle back? How is the water getting into the drain from the tank? Through an overflow? It really depends on what you want to do and how much flow you wish to have through the sump. There is nothing wrong with going over the top for your returns if that goes along with the esthetics you want to have and you can position them where you want. It looks like the return is behind the tank, so it is not really visible when viewing the tank. Ideally, you want 2 drain lines if possible, or you want to make sure there is no way for the only one to become clogged. The second drain is usually a bit higher and is an emergency drain.
Generally, I would not suggest using a canister filter on a reef tank. They tend to be Nitrate and Phosphate factories unless cleaned at least weekly, preferably every 4-5 days. They do a great job of removing stuff from the water column, but they do not remove it from the system until cleaned. In the interim, everything they collect is breaking down into Nitrate and Phosphates.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show photos of the existing tank plumbing in the middle back? How is the water getting into the drain from the tank? Through an overflow? It really depends on what you want to do and how much flow you wish to have through the sump. There is nothing wrong with going over the top for your returns if that goes along with the esthetics you want to have and you can position them where you want. It looks like the return is behind the tank, so it is not really visible when viewing the tank. Ideally, you want 2 drain lines if possible, or you want to make sure there is no way for the only one to become clogged. The second drain is usually a bit higher and is an emergency drain.
Generally, I would not suggest using a canister filter on a reef tank. They tend to be Nitrate and Phosphate factories unless cleaned at least weekly, preferably every 4-5 days. They do a great job of removing stuff from the water column, but they do not remove it from the system until cleaned. In the interim, everything they collect is breaking down into Nitrate and Phosphates.
I've got no pictures of the back of the tank. Just what he sent me today. Poor guy doesn't even know the true volume of the tank, it's listed as a 75 and is a 90. He's got the triton 34 sump but has no fuge and I completely agree about the canister filters! 2 drain lines are optimal and that's what I'd like to do. The stand pipe he's taking about for the drain I won't see till Sunday and I wanted to be in the best position to drill while the tank is empty. Esthetics aren't a concern, this tank won't be a display as much as it will be something else for me to mess with while my 120 matures. I see value in it even with all the issues.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there was a 2" stand pipe with the drain cover on the top. I'm so confused now! Lol

Attachments

• 20220529_185626.jpg
    20220529_185626.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220529_185639.jpg
    20220529_185639.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few hours of research, I feel like I can put in the Fiji LoPro 1600gph overflow box? might need a modification or 2?!

Attachments

• 20220601_132820.jpg
    20220601_132820.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 16
  • received_1914081898791012.jpeg
    received_1914081898791012.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 15

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 2" drain should work fine, as long as the flow does not get ubstructed. An overflow box will take the dirter surface water out for cleaning by your skimmer. It really depends on what you want cosmetically.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 2" drain should work fine, as long as the flow does not get ubstructed. An overflow box will take the dirter surface water out for cleaning by your skimmer. It really depends on what you want cosmetically.
I'm not a fan of one drain and it looks awful imo. I've been looking at the Fiji LoPro 1600gph overflow box. I just like that emergency drain and I'll never need that much flow on a 90 but if I ever do...lol.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put a Drilled External Overflow on that tank, and use the Pipe through the bottom as the Return to the tank. Get some Black PVC, and the Return will practically disappear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put a Drilled External Overflow on that tank, and use the Pipe through the bottom as the Return to the tank. Get some Black PVC, and the Return will practically disappear.
Now that's what I'm talking about!! A new fresh hot idea!
How would you plumb the return?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come up to the top “T” off to two outlets. Use Loc-Lines to direct the flow. I’d use a reducing “T” IE 3/4” x 3/4” x1” You will have to go online and special order the “T” to get it in Black. Two small overflows on the back would work better than one single Overflow.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acrylic tank is so easy to deal with.,I would redrill back for overflow and block off the drain on bottom of tank.
be pretty easy to block that drain in bottom either by capping or by getting a piece of acrylic and covering it.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acrylic tank is so easy to deal with.,I would redrill back for overflow and block off the drain on bottom of tank.
be pretty easy to block that drain in bottom either by capping or by getting a piece of acrylic and covering it.
I've got what's needed to cap off the center drain and think I can get this installed? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/lopro-external-overflow-box-1600-gph-fiji-cube.html

One more 1.5" hole in the left corner for the 2nd return and I feel like that'll work?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back