Dripping Kalk and cloudy sump.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks
So my tank is starting to grow quite a bit of coralline and a few of my corals have started taking off so over the past few weeks my calcium has dipped significantly. I'm now at 360ppm so I figured I needed to start dosing something to keep calcium where I want it. I will be getting an Auto Top Off next week and I plan to just mix some kalk in with my ATO water but for the time being I have set up a slow drip into the return chamber of my sump. The issue I'm having is that the entire surface of the return chamber is now cloudy but under the cloudy surface, the water is clear. I'm worried that the kalk is just sitting on top and that if I mix it up it will shock my tank. Is this normal?

Thanks for the advice

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks
So my tank is starting to grow quite a bit of coralline and a few of my corals have started taking off so over the past few weeks my calcium has dipped significantly. I'm now at 360ppm so I figured I needed to start dosing something to keep calcium where I want it. I will be getting an Auto Top Off next week and I plan to just mix some kalk in with my ATO water but for the time being I have set up a slow drip into the return chamber of my sump. The issue I'm having is that the entire surface of the return chamber is now cloudy but under the cloudy surface, the water is clear. I'm worried that the kalk is just sitting on top and that if I mix it up it will shock my tank. Is this normal?

Thanks for the advice
Did ya mix the kalk with RO before dumping it into the sump?

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens if there is not enough flow where it's being dropped in. Might have to dose it near a power head. As well as the previous post says make sure to mix it with ro water

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using RODI water but I moved the drip to over my filter sock since there’s a lot more water movement over there. I’ve been checking my PH and alk to make sure i didn’t cause a spike but so far everything seems okay. Thanks folks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back