Dropped LED in Sump. What’s this cloudy white stuff?

SerenityNow!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so I got this motion sensing rechargeable lithium battery light from Amazon for under my aquarium cabinet. It attaches with an adhesive and late at night or while I was at work the adhesive failed and it fell into the sump. Luckily there was no fish or livestock in it. It’s a new setup and I just had saltwater running though it for testing (custom build). Anyways when I found it presumably 12-18 hours later and I picked it up out of the water all this cloudy milky white water came out of it. Then I looked closer and my entire tank had a strong cloudy white/off white tinge to it as well. I have since drained the water but I was wondering if anyone knows what this was and if I should worry about residual contamination of the tank. My presumption is the saltwater reacted with the soldering and circuit board or something. So weird. Please no comments about how foolish it was to mount a light in my cabinet this way… I already learned that. Just want to know if the stuff is toxic or what it was. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah so I got this motion sensing rechargeable lithium battery light from Amazon for under my aquarium cabinet. It attaches with an adhesive and late at night or while I was at work the adhesive failed and it fell into the sump. Luckily there was no fish or livestock in it. It’s a new setup and I just had saltwater running though it for testing (custom build). Anyways when I found it presumably 12-18 hours later and I picked it up out of the water all this cloudy milky white water came out of it. Then I looked closer and my entire tank had a strong cloudy white/off white tinge to it as well. I have since drained the water but I was wondering if anyone knows what this was and if I should worry about residual contamination of the tank. My presumption is the saltwater reacted with the soldering and circuit board or something. So weird. Please no comments about how foolish it was to mount a light in my cabinet this way… I already learned that. Just want to know if the stuff is toxic or what it was. Thanks.
Probably from the bulb which has a powder within bulb

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back