Drummond 1/6 HP submersible pump from Harbor Freight?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use this pump from Harbor Freight for water changes? I'm comparing it to the Sicce Ultra Zero, which is $40 more and not as many GPH.

Any concerns for longevity seeing as it will be submerged in saltwater, albeit not permanently...or corrosion?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it under those circumstances especially if your going to since and dry. I would be more concerned about how high you need to pump the water

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally never put any harbor freight anything in water that will eventually go in my tank.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it under those circumstances especially if your going to since and dry. I would be more concerned about how high you need to pump the water
This pump actually has a greater head pressure than the Sicce utility pump.

I will be pumping from my garage to the tank (approximately 50' horizontal run) which are both ground level, so vertical will be the height of the tank, approximately 7'.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several pumps from harbor freight over the years. Not for my aquariums but for swimming pool with chlorine. They all still work fine.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump actually has a greater head pressure than the Sicce utility pump.

I will be pumping from my garage to the tank (approximately 50' horizontal run) which are both ground level, so vertical will be the height of the tank, approximately 7'.
How much money do you have invested in your tank?

i use plenty of HF stuff and have so for years. I wouldn’t use anything HF that touches my saltwater. It’s just not worth saving $40 IMO.

but if your only concern is the reliability per dollar spent, I’d assume this HF pump will give you better value than the sicce. My harbor freight power tools generally last a few years or more before they break. Good value in that respect. I’d expect that pump to last multiple years or longer. I’ve had sicce pumps break in under 5 years.

Back