Dry food for Lyretail Anthias?

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 lyretail anthias about a month ago and they are still only eating frozen foods. I'm heading out of town for 2 weeks and was hoping to get them eating pellets, flakes or some dry food before I leave so I know my autofeeder would suffice during my vacation. I still have a couple weeks before I leave but wanted to see if anyone has recommendations on a dry food to try or method to ween them off of frozen and eating dry food. Currently I have Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 small pellets and Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes. I also have a pair of clowns, 4 tangs, ember blenny and diamond goby. Main concern is the anthias.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 7 and all eat as far as dry:

New Era pellets
Formula 1 flake
Prime reef flake
Hikari spirulina pellets
PE Mysis pellets

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond mixing the foods, you may want to either investigate pet sitters in your area or investigate if your LFS will hold your fish. You may be able to get your anthias to eat dry food in that time, however they are famously picky eaters and you really can't depend on them to transition on your timetable (they likely will eventually, just maybe not in two weeks). I certainly wouldn't leave them for two weeks if they haven't transitioned and hope they'll get "hungry" enough- that's really inviting a huge diaster. At this point, I would find a sitter or someone to hold the fish as your Plan A, hope you are lucky as your plan B. I would not suddenly try and set up a frozen fish food feeder before you leave- you simply don't have enough time to troubleshoot it (if you were sucsessful) and that's just too risky at this point.

Ultimately, plan for the worst, then try different food and hope for the best.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond mixing the foods, you may want to either investigate pet sitters in your area or investigate if your LFS will hold your fish. You may be able to get your anthias to eat dry food in that time, however they are famously picky eaters and you really can't depend on them to transition on your timetable (they likely will eventually, just maybe not in two weeks). I certainly wouldn't leave them for two weeks if they haven't transitioned and hope they'll get "hungry" enough- that's really inviting a huge diaster. At this point, I would find a sitter or someone to hold the fish as your Plan A, hope you are lucky as your plan B. I would not suddenly try and set up a frozen fish food feeder before you leave- you simply don't have enough time to troubleshoot it (if you were sucsessful) and that's just too risky at this point.

Ultimately, plan for the worst, then try different food and hope for the best.
Thanks. Looking into a neighbor dropping some frozen cubes in the every day, but don't want to have to ask them to do that multiple times each day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 lyretail anthias about a month ago and they are still only eating frozen foods. I'm heading out of town for 2 weeks and was hoping to get them eating pellets, flakes or some dry food before I leave so I know my autofeeder would suffice during my vacation. I still have a couple weeks before I leave but wanted to see if anyone has recommendations on a dry food to try or method to ween them off of frozen and eating dry food. Currently I have Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 small pellets and Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes. I also have a pair of clowns, 4 tangs, ember blenny and diamond goby. Main concern is the anthias.
Unfortunately you won’t get them trained to eat pellets that quick, if ever. Best to find a neighbor or lfs first

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of my 4 lyretails eat pellets.
the male won’t touch them.
They don’t need multiple feedings a day. At least mine don’t.
what other fish do you have?

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of my 4 lyretails eat pellets.
the male won’t touch them.
They don’t need multiple feedings a day. At least mine don’t.
what other fish do you have?
Pair of clowns, diamond goby, ember blenny, 4 tangs (convict, yellow, scopas, tomini). Just ordered PE Mysis pellets to try. Might also try soaking what I currently have with frozen Mysis/brine.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. I'm glad you have your neighbor lined up.

Back