OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Engineer goby still not looking great. Other fish are not showing signs. I did FW dip and I did see some stuff floating but it kinda just looks like dead skin to me kind his current peeling looking skin. He’s still eating. I set up a temporary ten gallon for a Qt and meds are on the way. Currently cycling it with a live rock. Hoping goby makes it in time to at least try to really medicate. He did well in FW dip it made me super anxious but he was ok.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Engineer goby still not looking great. Other fish are not showing signs. I did FW dip and I did see some stuff floating but it kinda just looks like dead skin to me kind his current peeling looking skin. He’s still eating. I set up a temporary ten gallon for a Qt and meds are on the way. Currently cycling it with a live rock. Hoping goby makes it in time to at least try to really medicate. He did well in FW dip it made me super anxious but he was ok.

Still eating is a really good sign - most fish, when feeling even a little off, stop feeding.

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity is very high it will burn your fish's skin. To low of alkalinity will raise acid and lower ph

How would it burn them? That would have to be an insane pH spike that would be unheard of. They also wouldn't have that insane of a pH unless they poured an absolute insane amount of some very very high pH additive. Too low of an alkalinity doesn't increase "acid."

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Seeing any improvement in the fish?
I’ve got both of my engineer gobies in a QT tank that I’ve medicated based on recommendations above. The other engineer goby had started to look a little off so I put him in with his buddy. They both look fairly decent the really rough looking guy does seem to be improving! I’m hopeful.

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday they looked amazing no peeling skin really at all. I’m so hopeful now. I was thinking one more week in QT? Any thoughts on that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday they looked amazing no peeling skin really at all. I’m so hopeful now. I was thinking one more week in QT? Any thoughts on that?

Typically, I hold any fish that has had a disease for a minimum of two weeks after the symptoms go away, with no medications before moving them back to a DT, just to ensure they don't relapse. If you think the DT has an infective agent (like the flukes we discussed) you should wait at least 30 days for flukes, and 45 days if it was ich. The only time I would consider moving fish out sooner is if the QT is unstable, so that holding them there is risky for the fish.

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally, I would not.
I would let your DT tank go fallow for the 45+ days.

You've had 3 fish die in less than a month for unknown reasons.
I would QT all fish in copper and prazi for 30+ days while letting the main tank remain fallow for 45+ days.

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, I hold any fish that has had a disease for a minimum of two weeks after the symptoms go away, with no medications before moving them back to a DT, just to ensure they don't relapse. If you think the DT has an infective agent (like the flukes we discussed) you should wait at least 30 days for flukes, and 45 days if it was ich. The only time I would consider moving fish out sooner is if the QT is unstable, so that holding them there is risky for the fish.

Jay
Okay! Thank you so much!!!

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really never found out exactly what it was but I did manage to save my engineer with medication in the QT tank. No other problems with fish since then. I wanted to pop on and tell y’all that the help was so appreciated and the advice was definitely taken.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back