Dry looking skin, then fish die

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about two weeks ago I lost a PBT and at the end his skin looked like he had dry skin then he died. It was over the span of a week treatment from what I assumed was bacterial due to the fact that he was the only fish visibly affected. So we did a pimafix regimen (took carbon out and did the full week treatment followed by a 25% water change) he looked better midway through treatment but towards the end started looking worse. Then he died. About a week after my purple square anthias died and he had that same dry looking skin the day before he died. Just lost a blenny but never noticed if it had that skin issue. But today one of my engineer gobies has the dry looking sling and I managed to get a video to hopefully show what I mean. I have no clue at this point. Any ideas?
38EBA2C5-8573-418B-8EDA-3381EAC4C0E1.jpeg
E3D03C05-C77F-4B79-B152-A2736027FDC8.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This looks more bacterial than dry skin and sorry for loss and unfortunately pimafix is nothing more than a tonic with oils and would have done nothing for this fish. Best is to acquire and keep on hand:
Seachem Kanaplex- Bacterial
Seachem neoplex - Bacterial and fungal
Seachem metroplex- add to foods and addresses ich and internal issues
Prazi Pro (praziquantel) addresses flukes and some worms
Coppersafe- For ich and Velvet

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more bacterial than dry skin and sorry for loss and unfortunately pimafix is nothing more than a tonic with oils and would have done nothing for this fish. Best is to acquire and keep on hand:
Seachem Kanaplex- Bacterial
Seachem neoplex - Bacterial and fungal
Seachem metroplex- add to foods and addresses ich and internal issues
Prazi Pro (praziquantel) addresses flukes and some worms
Coppersafe- For ich and Velvet
Should I attempt kanaplex? I didn’t know pimafix is basically useless. Any recommendations for treatment of my tank to prevent future losses? This fish is still alive.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I attempt kanaplex? I didn’t know pimafix is basically useless. Any recommendations for treatment of my tank to prevent future losses? This fish is still alive.
Can you provide pics under white lighting to further assess and confirm treatment regimens?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in this tank now?
Have you considered it might be skin flukes?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flukes are my first thought as stated by Jay

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in this tank now?
Have you considered it might be skin flukes?

Jay
Would flukes be slow to spread like that from fish to fish with no other fish showing symptoms? I have a red tooth trigger, clown, 3 damsels, a pink stripe goby, a princess parrot, and these two engineer gobies. I lost the PBT, a yellow striped blenny, and a purple square anthias all looked similar at the end except the blenny I never saw this on my blenny

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would flukes be slow to spread like that from fish to fish with no other fish showing symptoms? I have a red tooth trigger, clown, 3 damsels, a pink stripe goby, a princess parrot, and these two engineer gobies. I lost the PBT, a yellow striped blenny, and a purple square anthias all looked similar at the end except the blenny I never saw this on my blenny

That is a key symptom of flukes; slow spread from fish to fish, fish dying at long intervals, and some fish not being affected at all (not all flukes species infect all species of fish).

Protozoan disease, if left unchecked, usually kill faster and affect more species.

Jay

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a key symptom of flukes; slow spread from fish to fish, fish dying at long intervals, and some fish not being affected at all (not all flukes species infect all species of fish).

Protozoan disease, if left unchecked, usually kill faster and affect more species.

Jay
So fresh water dip and antibiotics?

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much. Going to stock up on a med kit and I’m getting a quarantine tank set up. Only been in the saltwater hobby like a year and I started out with just really not getting into it too much. I got this tank for Mother’s Day and I’m only really starting to be obsessed since then. I think this forum in general has taught me 90% of what I know lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fresh water dip and antibiotics?

A FW dip will buy you some time, but will not cure flukes (the fish can get reinfected from eggs/larval flukes in the tank). Praziquantel, dosed 2x, 8 days apart is the best way to start.

Jay

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity is very high it will burn your fish's skin. To low of alkalinity will raise acid and lower ph

OP
OP
V

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity is very high it will burn your fish's skin. To low of alkalinity will raise acid and lower ph
Would this happen on one fish at a time though? I ordered a kit for alkalinity but I’m thinking since my ph is looking good with my other test kit that it’s not the alkaline especially since it’s one fish at a time. I did do a FW dip and I’m getting a QT as quick as I can. So far the engineer is still hanging in there but I’m nervous that he’s just the next in a line of deaths.

Back