Dry rock cooking with muriatic/hydrocloric acid vs sulphuric acid

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning up some old dry rocks and I was going to use muriatic acid. The slight problem I have is that I don't live in the US and I can't find any, the closest I have got was hydrochloric acid in a 25g drum.....a little much I feel ;)

I have however found Ph Redux that says it is sulphuric acid. Is there any reason I cant use that instead? If its OK are there any extra precautions you have to take other than the standard gloves, goggles, mask and open area?

Onedeadbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask Randy in the chemistry forum; not sure about how / if any sulfur would end up bound in the rock?

Some alternatives would be bleach and / or vinegar (not at the same time). I have read that bleach will remove the organics while any of the acidic solutions will help remove bound phosphates.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular table vinegar (3%) will work in place of muriatic acid. It’s a lot safer as well. I would go 50% vinegar and 50% water for about an hour. The first time I did it, I went 3 hours and I felt that it ate too much of the rock. Prior to the 50/50 table vinegar bath, I did a bleach bath as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back