Dry Rock: Cure vs Cycle / Ammonia Cycle

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am currently cycling a IM 25 Lagoon, and used RODI water, Instant Ocean salt, 40 lbs of Life Fiji Pink sand, and dry rock from a previous tank of mine. The dry rock has been rinsed & washed in fresh water, but I'm not sure if it needs to re-cure after drying from my previous tank.

To jump start the cycle, I was thinking about using Dr. Tim's, it seems pretty well respected on here. However, if the "no longer live" rock will need its own cure/cycle, does Dr. Tim's add any value? And in terms of the cure/cycle, am I still just looking for the same things (ammonia spike, nitrite spike, both go to 0s)? Or does the dry rock add a new variable into this?

Any help understanding what will be taking place in my tank over the next weeks/months would be great. For what it's worth, I fully understand the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle. Just not sure how the dry rock will affect what I do in the meantime.

One last curveball, it's been a wishlist item for most of my life to have a tank with exposed rock above the waterline. I finally have this now, but didn't know if I should put that top rock in the water during the cure/cycle and then re-expose it after, or if that's just a waste of time.

Thank you!

cjphi14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently done some research on this as I added dry rock to an already established tank. The dry rock you are using will contain dead organisms from ur previous tank. I personally would not cure the rock, the dead organisms in the rock will help the cycle get going faster. Since this is the beginning of a new tank and you know where your rocks are coming from I'd just put them right in the tank and let them cycle. I don't know about Dr. Tims, but if you are using the fiji pink sand that will also help your cycle. I don't think that the dry rock will add any new variables to what you are looking for. Also if you are looking for a way to get the cycle going faster you could add live rock to seed the dry rock. I'm not an expert on this but that's my input.
For the exposed rock, is all of the rock exposed or just a part?"

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently done some research on this as I added dry rock to an already established tank. The dry rock you are using will contain dead organisms from ur previous tank. I personally would not cure the rock, the dead organisms in the rock will help the cycle get going faster. Since this is the beginning of a new tank and you know where your rocks are coming from I'd just put them right in the tank and let them cycle. I don't know about Dr. Tims, but if you are using the fiji pink sand that will also help your cycle. I don't think that the dry rock will add any new variables to what you are looking for. Also if you are looking for a way to get the cycle going faster you could add live rock to seed the dry rock. I'm not an expert on this but that's my input.
For the exposed rock, is all of the rock exposed or just a part?"
Just the top half of one of the larger pieces is exposed. And purely for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks for your other responses as well. Just wasn't sure if I even had the option to cure/not cure or if it's all part of the same thing now.

cjphi14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the top half of one of the larger pieces is exposed. And purely for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks for your other responses as well. Just wasn't sure if I even had the option to cure/not cure or if it's all part of the same thing now.
I'd put it in for now, just in an abundance of caution in case it were to fall in and leach into the tank when it was fully cycled or something like that. Also I had the same question when i started mine up and I just put it in after a rinse because it will leach ammonia and things into the tank but thats already part of the cycle so if they are added with everything else they will just cycle with the tank. Good luck with your cycle!

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put it in for now, just in an abundance of caution in case it were to fall in and leach into the tank when it was fully cycled or something like that. Also I had the same question when i started mine up and I just put it in after a rinse because it will leach ammonia and things into the tank but thats already part of the cycle so if they are added with everything else they will just cycle with the tank. Good luck with your cycle!
Yeah I thought that too but then as soon as I take back out after the cycle, its going to mainly dry out again so I have to assume it would leach ammonia regardless at that point.

Thankfully I have an overflow so water level will remain consistent with evaporation moving forward.

cjphi14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought that too but then as soon as I take back out after the cycle, its going to mainly dry out again so I have to assume it would leach ammonia regardless at that point.

Thankfully I have an overflow so water level will remain consistent with evaporation moving forward.
Yea as long as you leave the water level consistent then you will be fine. Maybe even set the rock exactly where you want it now, that way you can just have it set and not change anything after the cycle. Not sure if you were already thinking that but just a thought.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear mixed results about Dr.Tims I used both Dr. TIMS AND Biospira . It will settle in your substrate and speed up your cycle.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am currently cycling a IM 25 Lagoon, and used RODI water, Instant Ocean salt, 40 lbs of Life Fiji Pink sand, and dry rock from a previous tank of mine. The dry rock has been rinsed & washed in fresh water, but I'm not sure if it needs to re-cure after drying from my previous tank.

To jump start the cycle, I was thinking about using Dr. Tim's, it seems pretty well respected on here. However, if the "no longer live" rock will need its own cure/cycle, does Dr. Tim's add any value? And in terms of the cure/cycle, am I still just looking for the same things (ammonia spike, nitrite spike, both go to 0s)? Or does the dry rock add a new variable into this?

Any help understanding what will be taking place in my tank over the next weeks/months would be great. For what it's worth, I fully understand the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle. Just not sure how the dry rock will affect what I do in the meantime.

One last curveball, it's been a wishlist item for most of my life to have a tank with exposed rock above the waterline. I finally have this now, but didn't know if I should put that top rock in the water during the cure/cycle and then re-expose it after, or if that's just a waste of time.

Thank you!
After getting old rock that was dried out and just adding it without curing, getting slimy algae, I gotta say, recycled rock has to be cured or you run a risk. I am using a mix of soda ash, calicum chloride, epsom salt, canning citric acid, reef crystals and have a tank set up with a red light, no filter in the hob pump, I added the flocculant from seachem, clarity, so I can see the rock in the tank. A big trash can would work.. but after adding citric acid, I got bubbles out of the rock, which I assume is old trapped hydrogen sulfide that needed releasing.. not too much, but enough to encourage you to cure recycled rock off in a tub or trash can in a garage or something if you have a lot of rock. Always have your best interest in mind and stay safe in reef keeping. Do your research. Baking soda neutralizes hydrogen sulfide. Got a ton of fizz when I added baking soda.. no vinegar in it, kwim? So throwing dry ice in the brack rinse water in a few months, in a plastic tub..

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back