Dry rock curing & cycling out of an aquarium?

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I may have jumped the gun with curing some rock. I had an aquarium a few years ago, had some proplems and took the tank down.

I saved the rock and now trying to plan a new tank. Thought I would start to cure it. I have 60 lbs in a container with freshwater, pump, and heater.

I'm planning on putting RoDi and salt in this weekend. Getting a test kit also this week for amonia, nitrates, nitrite.

So after its cured, can I leave it in the container and keep the salinity in check until I get a tank setup? I would like to start cycling it, but from what I've read its recommended to cycle it in the tank with sand. I would like to use sand, is there big proplems in just cycling the rock? I cant imaging it's a good idea to cycle both rock and sand in a container and transfer it over to the tank.

I'm debating if I should just slow down and remove the rock completely and start again when I have a better plan. Any advice would be appreciated!

20191127_202908.jpg 20191127_202903.jpg 15761155774897050833634765437895.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a solid plan. Wish I would have done the same when I first started planning my tank.
If you get that rock in saltwater and keep it at a reasonable temp, it will cure and cycle itself. Instead of adding ammonia or shrimp, or flake, the dead organics on the rock will decompose and act as your ammonia source. In a month or three (depending on how nasty the rock is and if you add bottled bac) it will be cured and cycled. If the rock is already pretty clean to start with, you may have to feed it as well.

I can't see the harm in filling the bottom of your tub with a few inches of sand and letting it go along for the ride. If the rock is horrible nasty, maybe not add the sand until the last few weeks when most of the gunk has been removed.

Yes, the tank will cycle as well. The bac will populate the glass surfaces, plumbing, pumps, sump, etc. Also, adding light will kick off the process of tank maturation (algae, diatoms, etc. etc.) Still, essentially, it should be ready for a couple fish almost as soon as that rock and sand you've worked at go in. Just to feel better about it, you might give it a week or two to settle in.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try Dr Tim's method of fishless cycling to cycle the rock in the Brute can.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this, BeMoto and for the response, BeejReef. From the photos it appears that you have been in my garage. :) I have the same situation and about the same amount of Fiji rock that has been dry for six years or so. I like the strategy of curing in a Brute (or similar) with some sand (maybe live sand) in water at proper salinity and temperature. Hope others will weigh in as well.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also trying to figure out if I need more rock. Since I don't have a tank yet, I've been thinking about a 120-150 gallon. I'm not sure if that reasonable or not yet for my budget. Trying to keep maintenance cost in mind also. A 40-75 gallon may be manageable. Trying to avoid upgrade cost later.

I'm also thinking after the cure process I may move the rock into a different container and setup filtration, skimmer, carbon reactor, sand, and a small light.

Still need to setup a water change station and get my RoDi unit set up.

I might start another thread of my own and document everything.

Hoping more people get involved with comments, I've oddly miss being involved in these forums!

U

User1

View Badges
Hello!

I may have jumped the gun with curing some rock. I had an aquarium a few years ago, had some proplems and took the tank down.

I saved the rock and now trying to plan a new tank. Thought I would start to cure it. I have 60 lbs in a container with freshwater, pump, and heater.

I'm planning on putting RoDi and salt in this weekend. Getting a test kit also this week for amonia, nitrates, nitrite.

So after its cured, can I leave it in the container and keep the salinity in check until I get a tank setup? I would like to start cycling it, but from what I've read its recommended to cycle it in the tank with sand. I would like to use sand, is there big proplems in just cycling the rock? I cant imaging it's a good idea to cycle both rock and sand in a container and transfer it over to the tank.

I'm debating if I should just slow down and remove the rock completely and start again when I have a better plan. Any advice would be appreciated!

20191127_202908.jpg 20191127_202903.jpg 15761155774897050833634765437895.jpg

You can cycle in brute containers. A lot of done it and it works well. It doesn't really require any lighting or skimmer. In fact lights out is preferred then you won't have to deal with the algae issues.

Dr. Tim's for the Turbo 9000 or whatever it is from Fritz will work. It is tagged fishless cycle. Basically set up the container, saltwater, rock, heater and pretend it is a tank. Read the instructions of the bacteria in a bottle of your choice, add. It should say add ammonia to 4 ppm and mark calendar for day 1. Every two days test ammonia and follow the instructions. I used Dr. Tim's and it took about 24 - 28 days to complete the cycle. In this case that means the tank can process 4 ppm in under 24 hours.

Using the container, isolation, allows you to cycle the rock (mature) while you work on other tasks for the tank. Building things, setting up, ordering supplies, processes, etc in parallel. Compared to my cycling the rock in the display I'm 19 months in and only now feeling that it is really mature :) So you save time by doing it the way you propose.

There is a thread here that a member ran some side by side tests on Dr. Tims and Turbo 9000. Both worked and I think you will be happy. Below is the link if it helps. Best of luck!

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some life in a bottle 8,000 and some test supplies today. Hoping to setup the RoDi unit this weakend.

Another question I have is if I glue or pin the rocks together should do it now befor the cycle or is it ok after?

20191212_211930.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had rocks curing in a tank in my garage for upwards of 4 months now. No amount of curing time is too much. Once theyre cycled they'll only mature more and more which is a good thing. I like to add a couple mL of ammonia every week or so but that probably isnt necessary

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some life in a bottle 8,000 and some test supplies today. Hoping to setup the RoDi unit this weakend.

Another question I have is if I glue or pin the rocks together should do it now befor the cycle or is it ok after?

20191212_211930.jpg
Good question. Anyone here with experience?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back