OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is right in saying that you will loose approximately 10-25% after muriatic acid wash based on the acid strength and yes you want to kill everything left on the rock from prior tank and that's why you clean them with acid and bleach. Just soak and wash with RO/DI water multiple times and atleast for a weak. Then finally soak in salt water before use.
Sounds like a plan. Would I need to soak it all in saltwater before putting it in the tank or can I Just put it in the tank with salt water? I don't plan on putting anything else in the tank until all the water tests are stable.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a plan. Would I need to soak it all in saltwater before putting it in the tank or can I Just put it in the tank with salt water? I don't plan on putting anything else in the tank until all the water tests are stable.
I will soak it outside tank like the container you have and then move when you feel good the parameters are good.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the rest of the dry rock/shells etc. that I picked up. He also had a couple bags of coral sand. Does anyone have an opinion on this type of sand as opposed to the finer sand? I'm thinking it's more of a personal choice but if there's any serious downside to the coral sand please let me know. I'm going to start the curing process this weekend since my RO system is supposed to get here tomorrow.

Attachments

• Rock 10.jpg
    Rock 10.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Rock 11.jpg
    Rock 11.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Rock 12.jpg
    Rock 12.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Sand.jpg
    Sand.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, forgot one

Attachments

• Rock 9.jpg
    Rock 9.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 35

Galiant50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this! While all 3 steps aren't necessary, I am in the process of setting up my first tank (after months and months of research) and here is what I settled on and what I'd suggest considering our rock looks about the same:

Placed rock in container with tap water and 1/10 water volume of bleach (maybe a little more, I just estimated and poured. Really can't have too much bleach here, but I'd stay below 20%. Put a cheap powerhead in the container, closed the lid and let it sit. It worked out where I started on a Thursday and was going out of town for the weekend, so I let it sit for a few days. My research determined that a few hours was enough time, but there's no harm in extra time.

After that, I put declorinator in the tank (used in fresh water tanks to remove clorine from tap water). I added extra than what the bottle says. Again, can't really do too much, but just didn't go overboard. Probably added an extra 10-20% since all of my volumes were estimated.

I let that sit for a week. Again, overboard, but I didn't care to work on it Mon-Fri so it worked out fine. Took the rock out, sprayed the rock off with a water hose for a bit until the water coming off was clean/clear.

After that you can either add it to your tank or store dry/salt water until you're ready to cycle!

Galiant50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the rest of the dry rock/shells etc. that I picked up. He also had a couple bags of coral sand. Does anyone have an opinion on this type of sand as opposed to the finer sand? I'm thinking it's more of a personal choice but if there's any serious downside to the coral sand please let me know. I'm going to start the curing process this weekend since my RO system is supposed to get here tomorrow.
I like uniformity, so I'd either skip using that sand or put it on the bottom. Looks fine and shouldn't hurt anything. Multiple sizes of sand normally doesn't work well with moderate to high flow since the smaller particles still tend to get blown around, but it should eventually settle.

If I were in this situation and it was necessary to save money and get the tank up and running, I'd use this as the first bag I put in and then add more sand on top depending on your sand needs.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Galiant,

I'm thinking going overboard with the curing can't hurt so that's the route I'm going to take. If it takes an extra few days that's fine with me.

I wasn't sure about that coral sand. I think I'm going to put some in before I start to set up the dry rock and see how it looks. Getting new stuff that's finer isn't a major expense so if it doesn't look right I'll just pick up the finer stuff at my local supply shop.

Joe

Galiant50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers prefer Aragolite Special grade, which is a medium grade and is stable unless using a ton of flow.

Everyone is going to tell you the same thing: patience is key. You're on the right track. Don't rush through any part of the set-up process, to include cycling. It's better to take an extra few weeks in setting up and planning than to lose fish because you skipped a step or rushed something.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dimes worth of Cleaning rocks.. You have used rocks and coral skeletons..

1/2 cup bleach per gallon of water.

24 hours is long enough.

Rinse/soak with tap or RO water for 48 hours. changing water out at 24 hours, do again if bleach smell is anything more than faint. Chlorine bleach will dissipate/dilute quickly in water.. and then exposed to air..

OVEN BAKE the rocks at 250 for 4 hours + until you know they are dry and you cant smell bleach. You can try steaming them too.. If anything is left on the rocks it will pretty much help it cycle. This will basically sterilize the rocks. Should not have to worry about spores (plant or animal) after this.

DONT dry them on your grill.

algaes and diatoms have airborn spore forms.. so that is where your UGLY stage usually comes from... unless you have improperly cleaned used rocks.

My opinion, and I will live with it.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so now I have a comment about sand too. I cant stop tonight..

I use special grade with small amounts of crushed coral for higher flow systems and just the special grade for low flow..

I actually like the CC SG mix.. the CC tries to purple up but is more green grey due to siphoning.. I like it. loooks natural.. just dont use a lot as it will always end up on top of the sand.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading other threads on here, don't use splashless bleach.
Hi Schuby,

I'm not sure what "splashless" bleach is. I'm just going to use the stuff I put in the washing machine.

Joe

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the details, but it says Splashless on bottle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-112738_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-112738_Google.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 35

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OVEN BAKE the rocks at 250 for 4 hours + until you know they are dry and you cant smell bleach. You can try steaming them too.. If anything is left on the rocks it will pretty much help it cycle. This will basically sterilize the rocks. Should not have to worry about spores (plant or animal) after this.....
Please dont put your rocks into the oven and bake them. That is horrible idea. Rocks can explode. This is no different than cooking your rocks in a pot on the stove. If there is anything still alive on the rock, you run a chance of that something releasing poisonous gas that can put you or your family members in hospital, or worse.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just rinse rocks off with a garden hose real good and throw them in a tote with a powerhead and a bottle of bac. I add ammonia when I think about it. I do that for a few months. Always worked for me.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please dont put your rocks into the oven and bake them. That is horrible idea. Rocks can explode. This is no different than cooking your rocks in a pot on the stove. If there is anything still alive on the rock, you run a chance of that something releasing poisonous gas that can put you or your family members in hospital, or worse.
Hi Cvrle,

I had no plans to put the rocks in the oven or on my BBQ grill. I've got them soaking in a couple Rubbermaid containers with a bleach mixture and I'll do some water changes until I have all the tank plumbing done. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the bulkheads, HD only had 1/2" and 3/4".

If I'm not planning on adding fish, or any other live creatures to the tank until I get all the chemicals right and constant would there be a problem with mixing the salt and RO water right in the tank/sump and adding the clean rocks and letting the whole thing set for a few weeks until all the numbers were good? I know people have suggested mixing the salt water in a separate container and then putting it into the tank/sump but I'm still trying to understand what the point is to the extra step.

Joe

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cvrle,

I had no plans to put the rocks in the oven or on my BBQ grill. I've got them soaking in a couple Rubbermaid containers with a bleach mixture and I'll do some water changes until I have all the tank plumbing done. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the bulkheads, HD only had 1/2" and 3/4".

If I'm not planning on adding fish, or any other live creatures to the tank until I get all the chemicals right and constant would there be a problem with mixing the salt and RO water right in the tank/sump and adding the clean rocks and letting the whole thing set for a few weeks until all the numbers were good? I know people have suggested mixing the salt water in a separate container and then putting it into the tank/sump but I'm still trying to understand what the point is to the extra step.

Joe
You can definitely go that route, and a lot of folks do. You can put your cleaned rocks in and cycle them in the aquarium. Only thing I would so is make sure that there are no phosphates leaching from rocks once you are done nuking them, and that that there is no chlorine left behind (simple chlorine strip will be good enough for this) before you put rocks in your tank. By doing it your way, you can also play around with aquascape and find what you like. Cycling your rocks in a different container and then moving into aquarium doesnt give you much time to scape, so that is a nice added bonus for cycling in the actual aquarium.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only slightly mistaken.. should have said 200 F.. Keep it below the boiling point of water.. I have done this several times with no ill effects.. but was mainly used to drive off bleach. Most of anything that could have fume problems will be killed off and broken down in the bleach soak. Any toxic fumes will or should be just as evident coming from the soak as from the oven. As an extra, you would have not to wait as long to use the rocks with this method, which was my main reason for doing it from the start.

However, if you feel the need for caution, you can just go with a bleach soak. Using a Sodium Thiosulfate chlorine remover can be effective too.. the one I am thinking of comes in a blue green bottle. I actually recommend this.. part of the problem is that the rock can absorb the bleach and make it hard to remove, often leaching out when least expected.. Thus.. the heat via the oven.

I do recommend bleach soak as it kills organics..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back