Dry rock cycle

My little ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never cycled a tank with dry rock, always used live or seeded from another tank. I filled the tank and have the salinity set, no lights, no fish so far just the live sand and the dry rock. Do I start the microbacter7 before I add any fish? If so how long should I wait? Been about 15 years since I started a new tank so all help is appreciated.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the M7 and then check your ammonia levels. You can dose ammonia (I use Dr Tims) and once it gets to 0 w/in 24 hours of dosing it is safe for fish. I would start with a single fish and then add more after the tank has a chance to stabilize. I would also check ammonia after adding the fish for a few days to make sure the bacteria is sufficient to handle the load.

I have done live rock tanks as well as dry rock tanks. For dry rock I have always had better success taking it slow and doing a longer cycle before any fish (4 weeks +)

Let us know how it goes.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
My little ocean

My little ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, my whole plan is slow. I was planning on about 4 weeks before fish but was concerned about the b7. But if I dose the tims as well it seems that will take care of my concerns.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back