OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is the type of nitrification you may have. Different species exhibit different levels of nitrification under different conditions.

You are right that nitrifiers can come from a lot of places, potentially including the shrimp itself. However, microbes leaving on/in a shrimp can be very different from those living in other environments. Most important is that they may be adapted to very different conditions.

That is why people do suggest an alternative source. Whether it is absolutely true is unclear, but I do err more towards yeah, the 'suitable' nitrifiers likely arise from other sources than shrimps. I mean, I am sure people managed to get success from even just an empty tank plus biomedia plus saltwater, but why make it harder. I was cycling a tank and for two weeks there was no sign of ammonia oxidation. No matter if I even used water from another aquarium. Sure, maybe after months on months it would cycle, but to me that is a waste of time. Live rock or a proven bottled bacteria product is what I would prefer. I used FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 and boom, nitrites immediately.
Very interesting!! Thanks :))
Right now I'll try to boost up the flow on the rocks and tomorrow I'll try to get some live rock

Jackmot,​

brandon429 is the forum expert on tank cycling. I have no hesitation whatsoever on trusting his advice and/or direction.
Will do!!!

Thanks for everything guys! I'll keep you posted on what happens haha :)

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just removed a sump wall in order to try to increase the flow through the rocks (and to make room for some more rocks in the process). The first pic is how it used to be and the second one is the "new version". This change forces the water to pass through most of the rocks. What do you think??

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_171137.jpg
    IMG_20210404_171137.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210404_230933.jpg
    IMG_20210404_230933.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 38

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice little tank! that is going to look great once it grows up.
keep in mine API ammonia will not read under .25 i pretty sure on this one I have cycled a few tanks with API not the best but if it can get the job done.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just removed a sump wall in order to try to increase the flow through the rocks (and to make room for some more rocks in the process). The first pic is how it used to be and the second one is the "new version". This change forces the water to pass through most of the rocks. What do you think??
That”ll get nice oxygenated water through it. There’s a lot of rock down there, would love to see if that ammonia drops from the test kit. However, I’m also sure that with a big waterchange it’s already capable of handling a small bioload if you want to get started. Good luck :)

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the fuge for that tank..good job. Low flow and no light you will have sponge in that rock.
...do a wc
Get.some.livestock..test. watch. U might have to do another smaller wc after but i think ur good.
D

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! Im kinda proud of it. I only bought the 2 empty tanks and the pumps, after nearly 2 years of building and testing in my free times evreything is finally starting to come alive.
BTW is you haven't checked the Ranjib's work on Reef-Pi you should!! It's the most amazing DIY controller EVER!

That is quite the fuge for that tank..good job. Low flow and no light you will have sponge in that rock.
...do a wc
Get.some.livestock..test. watch. U might have to do another smaller wc after but i think ur good.
D
I really don't want to risk livestock right now and since im not in a hurry I want to be 100% sure that my reef is safe haha :)

Today I bought Biodigest Prodibio and it's supposed to be very good bacteria. I'll re-check my parameters in 2 days. Should I put another piece of shrimp right now just to be sure (considering that my ammonia is 5ppm approx) or should I wait?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont matter. all that does is mess with the wastewater more, and in the current state its not starved, so we don't need more. only a water chg day 15.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! Im kinda proud of it. I only bought the 2 empty tanks and the pumps, after nearly 2 years of building and testing in my free times evreything is finally starting to come alive.
BTW is you haven't checked the Ranjib's work on Reef-Pi you should!! It's the most amazing DIY controller EVER!

I really don't want to risk livestock right now and since im not in a hurry I want to be 100% sure that my reef is safe haha :)

Today I bought Biodigest Prodibio and it's supposed to be very good bacteria. I'll re-check my parameters in 2 days. Should I put another piece of shrimp right now just to be sure (considering that my ammonia is 5ppm approx) or should I wait?
NO. NO MORE SHRIMP. lol

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO. NO MORE SHRIMP. lol
Got it, no more shrimp EVER hahaha

I've just turned on the lights to start getting some algaes so my CUC has something to eat. Hopefully I'll get the CUC by the end of the week or when the levels start to drop :))

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!!
My ammonia is dropping fast, It's almost at 3ppm and my Nitirite is already at 0.5ppm. The Biodigest seems to be working wonderfully!
I'll wait until the Ammonia and Nitrite drops to 0ppm but after that, the next step would be to get a Chaeto and a CUC.

Which snails should I get considering that it's a BB tank and a fuge??

BTW, Could this be my very first inhabitant? Looks like a very small snail...

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_175745_1.jpg
    IMG_20210405_175745_1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!!
So yesterday I finally started adding some corals and they are looking perfect!! :)
1 Pulsing Xenia (thats pulsing like crazy haha)
1 Green Star Polyp
1 Mushroom
2 Turbo Snails
Chaeto in the sump

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_121525.jpg
    IMG_20210516_121525.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210516_121530.jpg
    IMG_20210516_121530.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 15

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back