Dry rock/live rock questions

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 50g AIO mixed reef tank. My plan is to aquascape with 40-50lbs of dry rock( probably Marco). This is mainly for price considerations, and to avoid most of the hitchhiker issues.

My question is, would it be good/beneficial to add a small amount of live rock in addition? I’m using live sand, but thinking 5-10lbs of live rock would help cycle, add to biodiversity, etc.

Also, does anyone know if a supplier than sells small quantities of live rock? Most I’ve seen start at 20-30lbs.

I should add that I don’t have a LFS near me, aside from a sub-par PetCo. Does PetCo even sell live rock? And would I want it if they did??

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 50g AIO mixed reef tank. My plan is to aquascape with 40-50lbs of dry rock( probably Marco). This is mainly for price considerations, and to avoid most of the hitchhiker issues.

My question is, would it be good/beneficial to add a small amount of live rock in addition? I’m using live sand, but thinking 5-10lbs of live rock would help cycle, add to biodiversity, etc.

Also, does anyone know if a supplier than sells small quantities of live rock? Most I’ve seen start at 20-30lbs.

I should add that I don’t have a LFS near me, aside from a sub-par PetCo. Does PetCo even sell live rock? And would I want it if they did??

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
I highly recommend kps out of florida. Put in as much as you can afford. I recognize budgets and live rock flown in isn't cheap from anyone. You can order around 10lbs from them if I recall. Also, don't buy in to the hitchhiker paranoia out there. It's seriously over blown and unfounded IMO

Wes10C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do NOT want petco live rock lol. You could start cycling the rocks in a bucket/bin before you ever start up your tank.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run, 2-3 lbs of nice established rock with 40 lbs of dry rock is fine...

I prefer S Pacific rock but it's hard to find...

Most decent stores will have some old Fiji rock or something in a sump or a tank, whatever...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back